Upgrading meter tails

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Rich84, Jul 10, 2018.

1. Rich84

Rich84 New Member

Hi, after some advice please.

I recently had an EV charger installed and was recommended at the time to upgrade the mains fuse to 100A.

UK Power Networks have said they can do this for free, however I need to get my meter tails upgraded to 25mm before they can do so.

My energy company (Tonik) initially didn't understand what I was requesting, but after a bit of to'ing-and fro'ing with their metering team have said that their 3rd party supplier can do this, but as they don't own the meter they'll need to replace it at a cost.

The annoying bit is that National Grid via Tonik upgraded me to a smart meter 3 weeks ago, and now I'm been told that I need the smart meter replacing with exactly the same one.

Anyone got any advice on how to proceed, and if there's another option for upgrading the tails?

2. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

Generally speaking UK power networks look after the cut out so would upgrade the fuse. Your supplier would then look after everything up to the meter and then from the meter is up to you, ie your sparkie. If you get your supplier to fit an isolator your spark won't have to pull the fuse on the cut out when he does his work. It wouldn't surprise me if they charged you for any work replacing the tails.

3. Rich84

Rich84 New Member

Thanks. The EV charger has already been installed, it was purely a recommendation that we shouldn't use the EV charger, electric shower & oven at the same time unless we upgrade the fuse. Hence why I contacted UKPN.

It's my energy company that's being a pain, and like I said I really don't want to have to pay to replace a smart meter with the exact same thing just to get the tails upgraded!!!

4. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

Best guess would be it may be that the meter needs to be upgraded to take the larger tails, the original one may have only been suitable for 16mm tails.

5. Rich84

Rich84 New Member

Doubt it, been told by my energy supplier that'd it be replaced with the exact same Liberty 100 smart meter :S It's all down to the fact that National Grid installed my current smart meter, and their supplier won't touch it (but weirdly will replace it).

6. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

PSCC or PFC should fulfil requirements of the adiabatic... however does 25mm cable do this?

7. Rich84

Rich84 New Member

I'm not a spark, so haven't a clue what this means! :p

8. Magicspark

Magicspark Active Member

What are you on about? They are talking about the size of meter tails.....

9. Magicspark

Magicspark Active Member

Smart meters are not interchangeable between energy companies which is madness really. Say your with EDF but want to swap to EON then EON would have to come out and change the smart meter.

10. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Super Member

Bring back Nationalised Industries ?
    RS

11. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Bring back valve black and white tv's, and fish and chips wrapped in newspaper, and also the old monetary system - ''9d worth of chips please guv'', aye proper chips wrapped in newspaper funnel. to eat on the way home after finishing school for the day..those were the days my friend

12. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

Frozen Jubblies. I could do with one, right now!!

13. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Just tell them to stick their smart meters!

Deleted member 11267 likes this.
  14. Rich84

Rich84 New Member

This isn't even between energy companies!! Tonik arranged for National Grid to install my Liberty 100 smart meter, but now say that their outsourced metering company SMS won't touch it as it's not their meter and would need to replace my National Grid one with one of theirs - which is again a Liberty 100. Madness!!!

15. Fitzy71

Fitzy71 New Member

Fitting of smart meters is FREE as the government want everyone to switch to smart meters by a certain date.

16. Smart meters are NOT FREE.The costs have been covertly hidden in charges for electric and gas.
    Refuse to have one they cannot make you.

17. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Same here Deleted member 11267.

18. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

And here. I'm not having a smart meter and that's that!

19. Magicspark

Magicspark Active Member

Ive refused as well...They sent me letters worded in such a way that it sounded like I had no choice and also knocked on the door a few times before he got flicked the v :D

20. robertpstubbs

robertpstubbs Screwfix Select

Just found a 1925 shilling. How much food can I get with that?