I have sanded down a chest of drawers and there are a few bits of paint left .Does anyone know a goo

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Marbles, Jul 10, 2018.

1. Marbles

Marbles Member

d product i can use to remove the last of the paint without damaging / staining the wood ?

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

What is the wood, solid or veneer, also type of paint being removed. A photo would help.

3. Marbles

Marbles Member

It is solid wood and the paint looks like old gloss will send picture later .

4. Marbles

Marbles Member

The wood is solid looks like the paint is left in the grain. Cant upload a picture :-( .

5. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

What finish are you planning to use on this item ?

6. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

The op wants to know how to strip it for now, what do you suggest DIYDave?

7. Marbles

Marbles Member

I should like to remove all the paint and then wax it .

8. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Just asking Astra so as I can prepare a quote for the OP

Keep myself busy during the school holidays with some lovely cash in hand moonlighting of course

Do you need an apprentice for 6 weeks or so ;)

9. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

That's fine, 30 years ago when it was in vogue I ran an Antique Pine furniture stripping business. I'll send you a message of how to improve the finish ready for waxing.

10. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

No thank you, I need someone who at least has a basic idea of quality hand tools and more importantly a good knowledge of how to use them, at the very least being able of producing a finish that is acceptable to a paying client. Thanks for the offer but I think if you keep at it you could improve yourself and given time become a valued member of the community.

11. Marbles

Marbles Member

12. Marbles

Marbles Member

Anyway....

Any advice please

13. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

I sent you a message based on the limited imformation supplied.
    Just ignore...DIYDave is my stalker.

14. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Plonker o_O

15. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Is that the best you can do Country Boy?

16. Marbles

Marbles Member

Are you two related ?

17. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Yeah, pretty much

Never get involved in petty name calling on a forum or pointless arguments and have never understood why some members over the years get so wound up by others on here - it’s just a forum and none of us know each other

I’m still in awe of your detective capabilities though, maybe consider a career change eh :D

18. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

No, my mate DIYDave is sadly only DIY, shame really as I think he could'nt teach me a lot.

19. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Petty name calling DIYDave, did you not only a short while ago call me a 'PLONKER' is that not petty?

20. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Play nice :D