Raise a concrete floor by 20mm cheaply..

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by mark Newsham, Sep 20, 2017.

1. mark Newsham

mark Newsham New Member

Could any one give me some good advice on how to raise my old kitchen floor by 20-30mm so it is then the same height as my kitchen extension.
    the floor area is about 25m2 and will be tiled.

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Thin for a sand/cement screed,even bonded,no cheap way to do this job, going to be leveling compound, or a pumped screed (Liquid Screeds) there are firms who will do small area's, like example below.

http://www.expressliquidscreeds.co.uk/

There a bug on this forum, so remove the (S) from http.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
  3. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

What material is the old kitchen floor currently - timber / cement / other / ?

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Good point, I misread the OP's post, seeing words that aint there.:oops::eek:

Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
  5. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Dual post gentlemen :confused:

6. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

No Kiab it's me that's not seeing right (must be the Xtra lge G&T I've just sunk)

Post title mentions 'concrete' , although not mentioned in the actual post

Also seen he's posted same question earlier and received the answer ! ? ;)

KIAB likes this.
  7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

No cheap way to do the job properly.

8. cery sharris

cery sharris New Member

you just need to dig floor and will construct with concrete, screed. after will conduct kitchen which you want such countertops, worktops in marble, quartz, granite.

DIY womble likes this.
  9. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Love that word 'JUST'!

KIAB, Allsorts and Magicspark like this.
  10. DIY womble

DIY womble Well-Known Member

I thought it was all good

11. Allsorts

Allsorts Super Member

I've never understood why a 1" thick concrete screed on top of a firm concrete base would fail, but I've read this many times. Why wouldn't the new concrete adhere to the old and be ok?

Thanks.

12. SteveMJ

SteveMJ Active Member

I would be interested i the responses to this. As I did this when renovating my son's house. I raised the floor over about 3m x 2m section by ~20mm.
    I laid some small section timber (20mm x 20 mm) across to give a reference level then filled in with sand and cement screed. That was five or six years ago and I am sure on advice from this forum. The base was about 150mm thick concrete. There whole floor are had been covered and no known problems have occurred.

Steve

13. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

I am no tiler but do do a lot of vinyl, laminate and solid floors.

I do a fair bit of levelling work too.

When I did my own kitchen I had to raise my floor 200mm to bring it level. I also was installing underfloor heating.

I did a dpm with 100mm of celotex. Then a border of 25mm celotex against the wall. another dpm and then 65mm concrete. That brought me roughly to where the OP is now. 30mm shy of whats required. I acrylic primered the cured concrete then laid XP Pro Insulation Boards that I think were maybe 15mm. Acrylic primered the boards then taped he heat mat down, set it in about 8mm of self leveller and then tiled.

Couldnt the OP use a XP Pro Board to take up quite a bit of the height. Would be a lot cheaper than self leveller.

If I was him I would lay the heat mat too. Its not that expensive. It also would save quite a bit of the volume of levelling compound.

I am fairly certain I followed all the instructions and methods right on it.