Matt White Emulsion

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Lijong Tao, Jul 13, 2018.

1. Lijong Tao

Lijong Tao Member

Hi all

I am going to be painting my ceilings and want a good quality white emulsion. Cost is unimportant, I don't want a thin paint I will have to re-do. I just want to hopefully give it one good coat.

What do you recommend?

Grateful thanks Li

2. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Go to a trade decorator centre such as Johnston's, Dulux etc and get some vinyl matt. You may get away with one coat, you may not.

Lijong Tao likes this.
  3. PhilSo

PhilSo Screwfix Select

Masonry paint

PhilSo

4. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Are you DA in disguise? ;)

KIAB likes this.
  5. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Take a look at Crown Trade Covermatt, I’ve used it at home on last couple ceilings I painted

Very nice to use, good coverage, plenty of body, dries bright white and Matt

Says it’s formulated for newly plastered ceilings but I was just painting over 40 years or more of emulsion and was a pleasure to use

Fairly pricey, around £35 for 10lt

Others will have their own favourites, that’s fair enough and to be expected :)

Lijong Tao likes this.
  6. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

DIYDave has suggested a great choice but digest this, Brewers Albany Super Cover paint is made by Crown and exactly the same Matt White emulsion paint as Crown Coverplus and on offer at the moment 12litres for £26.55 +VAT from Brewers.;)

Lijong Tao and KIAB like this.
  7. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

And you called me ‘your stalker’

F F S, get a life geez

8. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Calm down dear, I'm agreeing with you!:) anyhow if you can't beat them!

KIAB likes this.
  9. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

You want the best? Benjamin moore ceiling paint. Colour... super white. How white do you want?

10. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

He's back, you got the wrong geezer!

Dr Bodgit likes this.
  11. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

You referring to Liquorice?

CGN likes this.
  12. Lijong Tao

Lijong Tao Member

What's a DA? Am I missing something, were you asking me?

Anyway thanks for the help. I don't have a Brewers near me so map opt for the Dulux trade Vinyl Matt.

Much appreciated.

13. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

DA is now a forgotten soul who painted anything if not everything with masonry paint.

Lijong Tao likes this.
  14. But now uses Allsorts.

Astramax likes this.
  15. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

I thought you said you wanted a matt finish. You will have patches and roller lines galore. Still. Will have a nice sheen you can admire.:)

16. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Vinyl Matt is matt finish not confused with vinyl silk?

17. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Matt finish I use has a sheen level 0-3%. I know the dulux trade ultra flat durable is 5% sheen and pretty flat. Can't see no flashing but coverage ain't great. I don't know what trade vinyl matt sheen level is. I'll guess its 7% or more as the flat matt is said to be flatter. Durable finish is getting popular and I always do for durable flat matt. Dulux is very sandy to touch though

18. Lijong Tao

Lijong Tao Member

I looked at emulsion for the walls, I wanted a pale green but B&Q don't have much choice in good quality paint. They don't stock Crown emulsion anymore, I don't want Velspar but wanted a trade colour. Will a Dulux trade centre make me up some matt emulsion in a colour of my choice?

B&Q had a lot of F&B (too expensive) and a lot of bathroom and kitchen paint but all their colours tended to be their own brand.

19. Lijong Tao

Lijong Tao Member

PS. I went for the Dulux Trade Vinyl SuperWhite Matt Emulsion for the ceiling. £42. WOW!

20. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Yes with over 6000 colours to choose from cannot see a problem, Brewers Decorating Centres also would be able to mix a Dulux colour for you and maybe Wickes but you would need to check first as they have a limited range.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2018