Can I get rid of the downpipe?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Emily C, Jul 14, 2018.

1. Emily C

Emily C Member

Not sure if the screenshots I've attached from streetview show this clearly enough, but the downpipe to the right of my terraced house goes through the roof and discharges into another pipe cased in concrete, which runs alongside my path and empties into a dished channel on the pavement.

I'm replacing the old guttering and downpipe and was wondering if I could just have it discharging onto the roof above the front door instead?

I'm putting on a new roof and there's nothing actually under the roof at that point. I've got to dig up and replace my front path, so that pipe/concrete thing would need replacing and I'm not sure what to replace it with. It would be so much easier to just do away with it all together. Any reason why not?

Attached Files:

2. kiaora

kiaora Guest

Hi
    First thing is to consult neighbors, it’s part of their rain water system as well,

It’s not clear on you photos, but is the gutter on the porch roof discharge to each side?

If so, I’m sure it will be fine, couple things to include in your calculations, The large roof area and the volume and flow in heavy rain will challenge the capability of the low roof gutter system.
    So, a deep flow gutter will be required, also, if you can arrange some sort of hopper head and branch system, on the lower roof, it will help stop any overflow right over the path!
    So recap, hopper head to collect main roof, spread to both low roofs, and deep flow gutter to lower roof.

Regards
    Peter

3. ramseyman

ramseyman Screwfix Select

Agree with Peter's reply but can't see where the porch roof discharges to, presumably on both sides so you would have to be sure the additional discharge can go somewhere appropriate. Definitely need deep flow gutters as in torrential rain may find the upper roof discharge shoots over the porch gutter.

4. Emily C

Emily C Member

Hi Peter, thanks for the reply!

I would definitely chat it through with my neighbour before I went ahead with anything. My strategy is to figure out what's possible/sensible then discuss it with him.

Because of the gable, we all have a downpipe on either side of each house (I'll attach a pic), but it's still a fairly large area of roof to be discharging into the lower gutter. I can't really switch out the guttering on the lower roof as I'd have to replace my neighbour's too, which is more of an issue.

So basically, I've got to stick with having it discharging into that ground pipe, which I hate :( Not sure what to replace it with. There is no drainage so I have to get the water across to the pavement. I thought about a dished channel between our paths, but it would need to be shallow enough that the water empties out onto the pavement's channel. So I'm guessing it will overflow in heavy rain and flood the paths...

I can't think of what to replace that ground pipe with :/ Can you get ready-made, less ugly versions? I can't find anything but I don't even know what it's called...

Attached Files:

5. Emily C

Emily C Member

Hi, yes lower roof discharges either side and out onto the pavement. I've realised I was being optimistic thinking I could dispense with the lower section of downpipe, there's obviously a reason no one else on the street has done it :D I just *really* wan't to get rid of that pipe on the ground!

6. kiaora

kiaora Guest

Looking at next door, to the right, they have a grid section, at ground level,
    so their drain to the road must be cut into the pavement to exit out of the kerb face?
    If that’s the case, you will be able to get Council approved ground workers, to copy next door, it’s not diy job, public liability issues, etc...
    Regards
    Peter

7. There looks to be part of the left downpipe missing in the first photo.You should get it repaired asap or it will not be long before dampness comes through.

8. Emily C

Emily C Member

Do they? Not sure I understand - all the downpipes between two front doors empty into a pipe that runs along the ground out to the pavement, and the downpipes between the two front windows bend at the bottom and come out of the front walls. It's hidden behind the car in that last pic, so I'll attach another one.

Attached Files:

9. Emily C

Emily C Member

That's streetview messing up when it 'sews' (?) the photos together. It's there, promise :D

Attached Files:

10. That's good.

11. kiaora

kiaora Guest

Hi
    The house on the right, with no curtains upstairs?
    Has grid between the two paths?

12. Emily C

Emily C Member

Sadly not :( It's the side of the concrete around that pipe.

Attached Files:

13. kiaora

kiaora Guest

I’m talking about the picture with 3 houese in, and the house on the right!

Regards
    Peter

14. Emily C

Emily C Member

The house on the right (red fascia, sills etc.) is mine. The only thing I can see that you might think is a grid is the dark stripe between my path and my neighbour's to the right. That dark stripe is the side of the concrete around the ground pipe.

Attached Files:

15. Allsorts

Allsorts Super Member

Emily, why do you want to remove that covered pipe? Are you looking to have that 'shared' entrance pathway completely flat? Is that what your neighbour wants too?

Or would you both prefer, say, a low wall there, similar to the front wall? Or a low picket fence? Or a length of trellis?

If so, then painting that concrete pipe cover would make it effectively disappear when it's increased in height with whatever.

16. Emily C

Emily C Member

I do hate it a bit, but I can live with it. The problem is I'm destroying my path and relaying it, as well as replacing the existing downpipe, so the thing on the ground (what is it even called?!?) will be damaged and need replacing with something.

I'm assuming it's a bit of downpipe and they poured concrete around it. Might have to do the same again and maybe paint it :/ Still contemplating laying a dished channel instead...

17. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Not sure what an easy solution is to this.

The centre divide would certainly look a lot better if a one brick wall was built down the middle, it would give some privacy for you and your neighbor.

Just need to think about how to deal with the rain pipe... You could divert the down pipe under the path, but the outlet would have to be dug out the pavement as Kiora has already suggested. Will be a bit costly bit it would make a much improvement.

i know you posted a thread about rebuilding the front wall, if this hasn't already been done the you could look at diverting the rain on the opposite side and out under the wall on to the pavement using a channel.

If the cast iron down pipe is in fair condition, it could be repainted, especially with a period property such as your would look a lot better than plastic replacement. Also if your lead water pipe hasn't been replaced also it may be worth looking into this if the path is to be relaid, but you may be lucky as it looks like a new stop tap has been installed in the pavement.

Going to be a fair bit of rain (when/if it eventually does :rolleyes:), so the idea of just sending the down pipe to the lower roof portion would certainly overload the gutters, in my mind it look quirky with the hopper there, and think the original design is best kept as is.

Something like this on the pavement.

[​IMG]

18. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

You could cap it with decorative stone.
    Build a trough planter over it.
    match the wall on the other side.
    Cap it with a sleeper?

What are doing with the path?

19. Emily C

Emily C Member

I'll look into getting something done "properly" i.e. digging up the pavement but I suspect it will be too expensive for me. Wish I could put it off until I have more money available, but the path has to be dug up asap to sort out the electricity and water supplies.

Original pipes haven't been maintained properly over the years, so I've got to replace it all sadly. The downpipe to the right of my house (painted red) is only original down to the hopper anyway (hence the hopper).

20. Emily C

Emily C Member

Digging it up to sort out electricity and water supplies, then laying concrete with a mesh so I can eventually get some nice victorian tiles laid on top. But the tiles are going to cost a bomb so going to have to wait a bit.