Festool guide rail

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by tore81, Dec 5, 2016.

1. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Strange problem, out of interest I just googled it and couldn't find much on it.

However, did find an interesting article about the difference between M & L class units http://festoolownersgroup.com/festool-tools-accessories/dust-extraction-l-class-vs-m-class/

2. mr moose

mr moose Screwfix Select

3. mr moose

mr moose Screwfix Select

4. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

I got sent a promo for this upload_2016-12-12_12-57-18.png unbelievably this is a Festool diamond saw. The video of this cutting a floor is so impressive - virtually zero dust and no water. Incredible what the manufacturers can do these days

AlvyChippy likes this.
  5. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

In all honesty I wouldn't worry about the alarm light. It's a stupid EU standard that says to comply with m class the filter has to have a warning light that comes on when the air flow falls below 20 cu m/min (if I remember correctly can't be bothered to look up the standard) with the largest diameter hose the manufacturer suppliers with that machine. Think how stupid this is. It works on flow not pressure and all sorts of things make the alarm come on when it shouldn't. And if the manufacturer supplies different hose diameters for the same machine it is impossible to sensibly certify for m class although easy enough to stick a little light on to satisfy the regs.

M class usually have better filters. Just ignore the light. Very common problem as soon as you have any non standard tool or connection. My company manufactures big industrial vacs.

Attached Files:

6. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

Thinking about it it's 20 m/s not cu m/min.

7. mr moose

mr moose Screwfix Select

I would ignore it if it was a light, but its an annoying high pitched alarm noise! :(. Anyway Miles Tools whom seem to be a very friendly company have kindly said they will take it back and have a look at it as they think it shouldnt happen so watch this space.

8. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

:eek::eek:

how annoying. You only need a light to comply with the standard. These alarms are often unreliable as they get calibrated in factory conditions, and anything that slows the airflow (like a small tool) can set them off.

9. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Have been using it a bit more now with all the loft work.

I don't have extractor, but looking at the bag that are supplied, do you think they are any good?
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/1217...id=229508&lgeo=1&item=121707159934&rmvSB=true

i will have to check the nozzel as I may not need the the elbow.

10. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

11. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Once you get used to a having good quality extractor on a power tool, it makes you wonder how you managed before. As well as a CTM midi, I got a CTL26 when it was on offer a few months ago. This again is another improvement on the smaller version

KIAB likes this.
  12. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

Going back to the M-Class discussion.

I have a CTL midi (L Class) and a CTM 36 AC (M Class). Both have stanard bags and 36mm hoses, the same 1200W power rating, but completely different levels of suction. The CTM36 puts the midi to shame, especally when used with the Kapex saws.

Although the reduced suction alarm doesn't go off when you attach any of the accessories (or a smaller diameter hose). Perhaps it's not as sensitive?

KIAB likes this.
  13. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

No Idea, how sensitive they are but know how expensive they are ! I have noticed that sometimes a breaker trips in the consumer unit but I think thats more to do with the 110 transformer than the tools

I was tempted to get one of the V-Tuf cleaners that was an "L" class and very cheap but then saw the reports how poor the suction was and decided to go again for another Festool.

I had to route a groove in the end grain of some long lengths of T&G flooring without the extractor and was surprised not so much by how much dust came off, but how I had become used to working without any dust or debris. Earlier on I was sanding some plasterboard while there was painting going on in the same room - it didn't even register with me until afterwards that previously it would have been impossible.

14. mr moose

mr moose Screwfix Select

Update on my M class Dewalt vac as mentioned in other posts I disconnected the alarm and since then its been great on small tools and large especially with the Thein baffle here is a pic..
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/hNWcu9ckDiiXkyh68

15. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

16. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

This looks very like the Dust Deputy or the Triton version. Both of them are £30 odd. Bet the Festool isnt!

17. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

The RRP is £350 so I am guess it is going to be on retail sale for £295. Interesting that it claims to take 95% of coarse material and 80% of finer dust it will be interesting to see what actually ends up in the bag and how fine it is.

18. AlvyChippy

AlvyChippy Active Member

Mine hand made from old Wax hoover cost me ...nilch, apart from days work in research and cutting, glueing and I guarantee is way more efficient! ;) But you got to know conservative Festool "estimation" :D

19. Tom86

Tom86 Member

Back to the main topic... I used to have two 1400 and I was thinking the same thing... but due to Festool pricing policy ( 800mm guide is the same price as 1400mm) I decided to sort that out my way. I cut one of my 1400 in two pieces 600/800. So now I have 3 guide rails :) and still, I can join them and have 2000mm or 2200mm or 2800mm...

Jitender likes this.
  20. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

all you have to do is to work out a good way of joining them together accuratly as the Festool connectors are about one of the worst products they have