900x900 Diagnal Corner Unit - Laminate Worktop

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by Danny281, Jul 23, 2018.

1. Danny281

Danny281 New Member

Hey lads,

I'm not a fitter, just a soon to be customer, i'm sat here scratching my head wondering how on earth a laminate worktop is properly fitted above this base unit, so that i can order the correct amount of worktop. I'm visualising a small triangular joint at the back? Not a clue.

The corner unit has a neighbouring 300mm and a 600mm unit.

Also I was going to order ABS worktops, is this ok?

Thanks in advance.

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

The joint usually used is a mason mitre joint, your kitchen fitter will know how to do it.:)

3. Danny281

Danny281 New Member

The video appears to show the fitting of a worktop over a corner unit like:

[​IMG]

I have a diagonal corner unit, like so:

[​IMG]

How is this one done? Thanks again

4. Allsorts

Allsorts Super Member

Hmmm...I...er...um...

Yeah - stick a triangle in there... :rolleyes:

What's an ABS worktop? There are some types - such as Maia (correct name?) which can have their joints blended in to be nigh-on perfect and invisible, so basically anything can be done. But if your worktop is a 'normal' laminate type, then I don't know how they'll do this.

5. Dan dan the man

Dan dan the man Active Member

Either buy a half length of 900 mm wide top for the middle section or join a piece at the back

6. Danny281

Danny281 New Member

I haven't bought the worktop yet, I've picked the style but they offer a standard '6mm Post-Form Edge' or a 'ABS Square Edge' (Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene) .. Yeh that one, i liked the look of the square edge better and it's supposed to be a rougher wearing edge. I just didn't want to order too short a length, because I've no idea how it's supposed to be fitted.

My complete novice drawing/guesswork is something like this

[​IMG]

You rotate a ~1100mm x 900mm cut, trim and join the edges with neighbouring worktop, and pre-join a triangle at the back? Which i personally don't mind, it'll have a microwave over it anyway.

Grateful for any help =)

7. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Change your corner unit.

You'll prob have to buy a full length of 900mm anyway, so I wouldn't worry. Kitchen fitter will do the rest.

8. Dan dan the man

Google worktop corner solution...theres loads kf guides on line.... pretty simple to do....use straight miters instead of masons. Done these a million times.

9. Danny281

Danny281 New Member

Alright, i'm not cutting or fitting it, i just wanted to have an understanding of my options before ordering the worktop, i didn't want to waste a fitter's time having him turn up and not have enough worktop.

Off topic, and i know it's a can of worms, but roughly what sort of money should i be expecting to pay to get it fitted, it's about 5.1 meter of worktop in total, i'll be ordering a 3m x 900mm and a 3m x 600mm length, I'm in South Yorkshire.

Thanks for your help lads

10. Dan dan the man

Just sorting the tops.....I’d want £250 to come and do that....worktops joined,sink and hob cut out and sink fitted but not plumbed in.

11. Danny281

Danny281 New Member

Ouch, that's about £100 more than i was anticipating. Is that £250 because it's a pain job you'd rather skip, or is that really an average price?

It should just be 3 main worktop joints, a small triangle off-cut at the back and a cut out for the sink, oven is free standing. Is it really that costly?

12. Dan dan the man

Can’t do anything else that day.....soo yeah its that costly(that’s actually a pretty decent day rate tbh) besides...... the units won’t be right and time will be spent putting them right....I’m sure someone will do it for less....but i have standards

Scott Green, Jord86 and KIAB like this.
  13. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

Good god, not many kitchen fitters around here then :D

Op, to do the angle across the corner you will need to order about 1.7m of worktop for that on it's own plus the rest of the tops. For those that don't know, ABS tops are just normal laminate tops that have a PVC front edge glued on, in other words they are not post formed.
    It's not rocket science and most worktop jigs have peg posts for corner solutions anyway, all mine do and i've not seen one that didn't.
    As for cost, Dan dan the man is cheap........................i'd want £350 minimum..........................but i is getting old and my pension is low :D

14. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Old school!:rolleyes:

Haven't seen a angle corner joint in years, it's all mason joints everywhere.

15. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

A corner solution is a Masons joint, that's why it needs about 1.7m of worktop. I've got 2 worktop jigs i use all the time and both of them have peg holes for corner solutions as in the OP's post. Not used them in a long time i must admit, but they are still there and they are Masons Mitres.

16. Danny281

Danny281 New Member

Jesus christ, anybody 450? I don't want to sound rude but i had the whole kitchen plastered and painted for that, the kitchen itself i ordered and fitted for 2 grand, sink included. What is so spectacularly difficult that it should cost £350 for a few cuts/joints? I must be missing something here.

Again, don't mean to sound rude, i'm grateful for your help.

17. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

Because some of us do it for it a living, and not for a mate of a mate that we met down the pub. If you don't want to pay for it to done properly.....................then get it done by a mate of of a mate. Personally i don't care less, i'm not a charity and i don't work for charity rates for peeps that may well earn 10 times what i earn.

18. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

As has already been said, it's a days work. Self employed, tax, van, insurance, tools (can run into 10's of 1000's), traveling time...................................you want's to expend that much time , money, experience for less ?

Dan dan the man likes this.
  19. Danny281

Danny281 New Member

Fair enough mate, if that's what you have to charge to make a decent living.

£360 for worktops including delivery, £350 to fit them o_O I'll be over here throwing up.

20. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Then as you've already fitted your kitchen yourself, do the tops yourself or employ a numpty to do so, if you think it's costly to hire a good tradesman just wait until you hire a **** that cocks them up. Its irrelevant what you paid for them, the work involved in fitting them remains the same, and having the kitchen plastered and painted for 450 and kitchen cost 2k appears it's a budget fit, but you can't expect self employed business owners to cut their rates to keep to your low budget. Good luck with it.

HandyDoug, kitfit1 and CGN like this.