Self levelling screed

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by lazyfrau, Jul 23, 2018.

Tags:
  1. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Ha ha that’s a line I use as well mate, I’m fairly convinced that some fellas act is if they’re ‘on the blob’ for sure ..... (never myself though ;))

And yep, sure is hot here in sunny Essex. No booze for me today, had a good old skinfull over the weekend so dry day today

Could murder a large G&T now actually, just sitting in the garden b4 bed and on this forum (for some reason)

Nitey nite CGN, I’m sure we have to be up in a few hours time ready for work

2. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

I'm a millionaire Dave...Its my choice :)

3. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

I wish x

4. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

I'm also my own boss. I can sack myself!

KIAB likes this.
  5. DIY womble

DIY womble Well-Known Member

You forgot to say you have a sense of humour

6. lazyfrau

lazyfrau Member

288839D2-9B2E-4239-8794-EDA1D904065F.jpeg Whoa! Lots of advice and all v helpful. I am leaning toward a strip of the left over worktop so that the front edge looks neat and wind up the legs. This is how it is at the mo, fridge not in use, waiting for spacers to go on the back to see if it fits the blummin space.
    Thanks again guys.

7. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Your welcome :)

If you go with worktop on the floor, need to protect it from getting wet, ie, floor moping/splilages otherwise will soon blow (assuming timber/composite) ?

8. lazyfrau

lazyfrau Member

Oh, I thought being a worktop meant it would be water proof!

9. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

They soak up water like a sponge.

DIYDave. likes this.
  10. DIY womble

Back to the mention of beer mats...
    I use to spend my summers at my cousin's in wales and played a lot of snooker , my uncle said he was a member of an old snooker club in Abertillery I think, took me along, he said do you know what this table is , no I reply , he points out a small brass plaque and I read it to say it was a world championship finals table won by Joe Davis ( legend ) in the 1940s . I walked up and down and commented on the slope of the floor , he points out the variable stacks of beer mats under each leg , up to 6 " in one corner

Jord86 and CGN like this.
  11. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Assuming this is a chipboard/MDF laminate worktop ? (May be marble or solid gold perhaps) ?

If you mop floor or spill water, liquid will have a tendency to seep under worktop and become trapped as no air flow

Cut edges will suffer most, soon blowing the laminate. Underneath is only water resistant to a degree

Can seal cut edges (loads of suggestions will follow), silicon, oil based paint, varnish, Zinnser BIN, etc

If it was me, I would sit fridge on a shelf supported on battens then cut plinth for front edge - so it matches kitchen unit design

Fit plinth seal to plinth/floor junction (as on all plinths) to stop ingress of water and gunge

Job done simples and no floor levelling required :)

12. lazyfrau

lazyfrau Member

Right. Spacers arrived and looks fine for fit.
    Going to cut a strip of worktop, varnish cut surfaces (got new doors too) and bobsyeruncle!
    Thanks for all your advice, it’s been brilliant and fun!:)

DIY womble likes this.
  13. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Smear the worktop edge with silicon.

14. DIY womble

Varnish ?

15. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Who you telling to Vanish!

DIY womble likes this.
  16. DIY womble

If any damp gets behind silicon tends to peel , I think , great stuff though use it to stick most things , I have a complicated dry lining technique for dodgy ceilings but if I told you you wouldn't believe me, and I get laughed at enough as it is

17. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

What’s above the fridge - worktop ?

So what difference in height do you have between actual fridge and gap ?

18. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

This is madness.

Unless the fridge is sitting over a disused well or a developing sinkhole the amount that needs levelling will be tiny.

No need for levelling compound or using worktop.

Just put something under the feet to bring the floor height up a bit.

Window packers, old tiles, bits of laminate flooring. Anything.

Almost every kitchen I have every fitted has had a packer of some kind under a foot.

On more than one occasion, every single foot has been jacked up.

19. lazyfrau

lazyfrau Member

Thanks for your continued, high quality advice and comments more amusing than Stewart Lee; on TV, hence me on here.