Palm router

Discussion in 'Tool Talk' started by mrppp, Mar 18, 2018.

1. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Jitender likes this.
  2. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Going to order the plunge base. Thanks

KIAB likes this.
  3. KEVIN NAIRN

KEVIN NAIRN Member

This is my set-up for routing hinge recesses:

Attached Files:

4. KEVIN NAIRN

KEVIN NAIRN Member

More pics: The new Bosch cordless router is FANTASTIC I've also made a fence for it (I'll post pics next time)
    I use a 46/913 Trend top bearing guided router cutter (the short one) the plywood can be adjusted as it runs in slots and the wing nuts are attached to coach bolts. I mark out the hinge in pencil, adjust the ply to the hinge size I marked, clamp up and GO! Takes 10 seconds to rout the recess once set up. The small piece of ply is glued in then blind dowelled vertically in the centre of the edge so it doesn't move.

Attached Files:

5. KEVIN NAIRN

KEVIN NAIRN Member

The trestles allow me to plane doors to width (by clamping them to the sides of the trestles) and trim to length by laying on the top of the trestles. The feet are coach bolted so they fold in for ease of transport/use. I've hung about 20 doors with these trestles so far.

Attached Files:

6. KEVIN NAIRN

KEVIN NAIRN Member

Forgot to mention: the square rectangle in the ply is the length of the hinge, but 50mm wide as the Bosch 12volt router doesn't plunge. You set the cutter to the right depth (thickness of ply + thickness of hinge, drop the router into the gap and away you go. No more dragging around 110 volt routers and transformers!

Attached Files:

7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I'm surprised Bosch haven't brought out a 18v router yet.

8. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

9. AlvyChippy

AlvyChippy Active Member

10. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I went and purchased the Makita 18v trimmer/router, when FFX had the 5% offer, another tool off the wish list!

Cost a bit of money, bit quite happy with it so far due to its portability and no leads. For little jobs around the garden really useful.

It came with 3 different bases, plunge base, offset and angle. Don't think I will use the later, all cam in a box so it keeps everything in one place.

Using 3ah batteries, but find it a little top heavy, when doing vertical surfaces. Other reviews mention a 1.5Ah battery in this instance.

11. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Don't those bases fit exsisting mains Makita/Katsu Trimmers.
    The angled base is actually very useful for angle trimming.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2018
  12. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I've tried the plunge base on the 240v katsu trimmer and it fits which is a double bonus. Together they are virtually identical.

I will still hand onto the mains one, I did wire on a longer lead.

The battery one is handy for portable jobs, it has a lock and unlock button which times out so a bit more safer. Have to be careful with the mains so it isn't left in one when plugging in.

Haven't used the plunge base but looks pretty good, and does have the 16mm guide bush, which I could use for my existing hinge jig.

13. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Reason I bought my Katsu, work well my a hinge jig.

14. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I haven't used it for hinges yet but am sure it would cope, with hinges being only a few (4) mm deep.

Currently I use a dewalt 621 which was recommended to be by a friend at work, but at the time I went for 110V, as thinking I may get site work, unfortunately this never happened, so can be a pain carrying a heavy transformer about.

15. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

I would try Rutlands. They do the same router branded as their own with the plunge base for more or less the same price - but you also get an established firm to moan at if it goes wrong :)

AlvyChippy and KIAB like this.
  16. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

AlvyChippy likes this.
  17. AlvyChippy

AlvyChippy Active Member

18. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

:confused:

It has plunge base as standard???

19. AlvyChippy

AlvyChippy Active Member

I already have trim base and bits with my Katsu, my precition ACF900 is good for 1/4 plunge jobs (as hinges etc), wanted just plunge base for Katsu (Makyta)
    ;)

20. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Ebay £25.:eek: