Looking for Joiner's opinion on a job

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by D Hamilton, Jul 27, 2018.

1. D Hamilton

D Hamilton New Member

I recently got a joiner to build and install an island unit in kitchen. The end units in the island are curved so I asked for two of the worktop corners to be shaped accordingly. I was pretty unhappy at the result to say the least but the joiner seemed to think he had done a good job. I don't think that the worktop is cut into a smooth curve and the edging looks horrendous to me. I will try to attach photos and would be grateful for your expert opinions (one of the pics shows the worktop curve compared to the curve of the door when lined up with edges). He says I am just being picky. Grateful for your views. Thanks

Attached Files:

2. facilities

facilities Guest

Don’t think you need a joiners opinion on that lash up,

Mgreen201 likes this.
  3. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Looks pretty ropey to me and I would not be pleased with that...however cutting a curve on a worktop must be difficult to do and beyond my pay grade.

But he's a pro and should either do a better job or be upfront about the challenge.

4. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

I would not pay anything for that mess. I'd tell him to take it away and dispose of it at his expense. I'd then get a real joiner in that comes with references.

5. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

Lets hope you haven't paid for it yet.

6. furious_customer

furious_customer Screwfix Select

Give him an opportunity to put it right and if he refuses then consider taking an action in the small claims court.

You are not being picky - the job hasn't been carried out properly and that is his problem.
    If you accept the job and the edging falls off in a few months than it will be your problem.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2018
  7. furious_customer

8. D Hamilton

D Hamilton New Member

What are your thoughts on the curves cut into the worktop?

9. furious_customer

I think the curve actually looks smooth, but it sounds like it doesn't match the profile of the end-units, which is what you asked him to do.

10. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

My thoughts too. Its more the standard of the edging work, its shocking. Even I can do a much better job than that.

11. D Hamilton

D Hamilton New Member

I maybe haven't got a good enough pic of it. When you run your hand alongg it there's a very noticeable bump where it's slightly straight and then turns to meet the straight edge. He said that it shouldn't have to follow the profile of the door and I wouldn't have minded if it didn't add long as it was a curve. But to me it certainly isn't.

Many thanks

12. furious_customer

Ah, I see.
    Do you know if he cut it with a jigsaw or router?

It would be very difficult to get a smooth curve if cutting free-hand with a jig-saw.

13. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

It's bobbins.

14. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

I was wondering how a joiner would go about this? Carefully cut a ply template (with jigsaw and sand?) and use that with a router?

chippie244 likes this.
  15. furious_customer

Or make the template from 6mm ply/MDF using a router on a trammel arm?

16. furious_customer

17. D Hamilton

D Hamilton New Member

He cut it with a router and made a template from ply using one of the curved doors to get the
    I assume so but without the word carefully

18. D Hamilton

D Hamilton New Member

19. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

Here's a DIY opinion. It's carp! My edging is way better than that, and I only do it occasionally. For a pro job, no way is it good enough - it should be as close to perfection as you can imagine.

AlvyChippy likes this.
  20. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

No way is he a Joiner are you sure he didn't say Joker!

AlvyChippy likes this.