Please help! Downstairs builder nightmare

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Eastie95, Jul 27, 2018.

1. Eastie95

Eastie95 New Member

I rent an upstairs flat and the flat below is having work done to it, we share a small front garden and only they have access to the back garden.
    They have filled the front garden with rubbish, old furniture, bathroom fixtures and fixings to the point we can't get the bins out anymore for the bin men to take. They have also damaged the wifi box in the front garden and we can't get to the box to see the damage or how to fix it, we've been without wifi now for almost two weeks, I have asked them to move their stuff but they say I have to speak to their boss - who's number they conveniently don't have access to. (which I don't believe)
    Is there anything I can do to make them move their rubbish out of the garden??
    On a more personal level I can hear them making fun of me for asking as well since they are obviously just below me which is quite intimidating.
    I'm a young woman and its hard for me to get the courage up to keep asking these middle aged men to get their act together - is there anything that I could say to them that will make them respond??

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

A well placed swift kick in the nuts can say more than a thousand words. As you are renting a word with you're landlord may be beneficial as it's his/her property that has a front garden full of builders rubble and junk!

Last edited: Jul 27, 2018
    Jord86 likes this.
  3. Eastie95

Eastie95 New Member

Haha I wish that would solve all my problems!
    The downstairs flat isn't run by the same letting agent, so I'm not sure if theres much my landlord can do?

4. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

They are taking advantage because you your'e not saying anything to them you will have to do something or they will keep taking the **** leaving you without internet is wrong maybe threaten leagle action if they don't sort it, but you gonna have to say something

Eastie95 likes this.
  5. Sparkielev

Ring the letting agent threaten them unless they sort asap

6. just pumps

just pumps Screwfix Select

There is a lot your LL can do if their property (including the wi-first box) is being damaged.
    Put your big girl pants on and be seen to take photographs of everything including a sign advertising who they are then if questioned say your LL wants evidence.
    Have friends with you if it helps but don't engage in a war of words. They are depriving you of something you pay for.

Eastie95 and Sparkielev like this.
  7. just pumps

Bloody predicted text
    Wi-Fi not Wi-first! !!!

8. Eastie95

Eastie95 New Member

Haha thank you, you actually gave me a boost of confidence there! Going to take pictures tomorrow, thank you for the advice :)

Sparkielev and just pumps like this.
  9. just pumps

No worries, take lots of photos from different angles.
    Good luck.

Eastie95 likes this.
  10. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Hate this kind of thing.

Never an excuse for it.

I would probably just step things up a notch.

Take lots of photos.

Is there not a possibility of reporting them for flytipping as its your garden they are dumping rubbish in?

As they are taking the mick and mocking you, why not very discreetly note their rego plates and if they are untaxed then report them. Sly but they are really being unpleasant to you.

just pumps likes this.
  11. just pumps

Almost if not worth a call to 101 just to get a crime number

12. Sparkielev

If it stopping access to bins then that must be a enviromental health issue maybe ring council and report them they just bullys and deserve to be taught a lesson

just pumps likes this.
  13. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

Wait until mid morning tomorrow, by then predicted text and other such things may have calmed down, Possibly :rolleyes:

14. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Ring council. Tell them you have seen rats running in and out of the rubbish.

15. just pumps

Won't matter if it's in London, not unusual there.

Astramax likes this.
  16. just pumps

Stuff a potato up the vans exhaust pipe :D

17. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Tell them the rats looked like they were planning to steal a moped?

18. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

Even less chance of anything being done then. :(:(

just pumps likes this.
  19. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Add to that a kipper on the exhaust pipe, go for the whole fish & chips.

just pumps likes this.
  20. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Banana worked for Axel Foley in Beverly Hills Cop.