New Integrated Washing Machine, Old Door .. b*gger

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by Cacker, Jul 31, 2018.

1. Cacker

Cacker New Member

So, it was obviously too hard to have an ISO fitting for a door. I mean all kitchen doors/carcasses conform from different manufactures. why don't appliance manufacturers do the same.

So have original door and the hinges from the new machine. New holes are an inch or so offset on one and a couple of inches on the other.

Any ideas ? can a chippy fill the existing hinge and screw holes and re drill ?

or do I have to get another door (from UrbanMyth so not bloody cheap :( )

2. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Yes or you can get blanking plates to fit in the old holes.
    You need a 35mm forstner bit to drill the new hole with, usually, a 20mm centre from the edge of the door.

3. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

If you need to drill new hinge cut out which overlaps existing, then cut out same diameter ‘blank’ from say 15mm MDF, using appropriate hole saw

Check it fits nice and tight and depth is ok - may take some fettling

Glue and clamp blank and allow to dry

Your now ready to cut new hinge position. Any small gaps around blank can be filled and painted over to match door interior

4. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

2 part filler is easier.

5. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Hi Chips
    I’m a big fan of the Ronseal 2 part and always have a tin on the go (smells great as well)

Would it cut well though using a forstner bit ?

6. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Once fully cured it cuts beautifully with a clean, crisp sharp finish, prefer 'Decor Fill' myself.

7. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I usually use decor fill too, buy the big tin and remember to put the lid back on.

Astramax likes this.
  8. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

I know it's not going to help with your issue, but there is a reason why there is no ISO for fitting a door to any appliance. First off is your assumption that "all kitchen doors/carcasses conform from different manufactures." They absolutely do NOT, never have done and probably never will do. To your issue with your integrated washing machine. ALL the manufacturers use different spacings on the hinges, from cheapy cheap to the most expensive......................why ? is anyones guess, but they all do. Back to basics though, they all recommend siting the machine on the floor. This means the top of the machine could be anything from 30mm to 50mm below the worktop. As a fitter, to me this is completely wrong. My natural instinct is to raise it to just below the worktop. Most manufacturers just don't give you enough adjustment in the feet to do that, so the usual thing to do is sit the washer on a bit of offcut worktop.

In the 1990's Indiset made a fantastic integrated washing machine. It was 720 tall on it's facia, but had a sliding rack that was screwed to the cabs either side. You fitted the sliding racks, pulled them forward, dropped the washer on and then slid it back into position.
    Why all these companys don't do that now is beyond my comprehension. After all peeps, all they are actually doing is giving us a freestanding washer with a couple of hinges bolted on.......................then charging another £300.

9. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

When the majority of appliances sold are integrated ones, then the free standing option will most likely be a few hundred£ more.

When was the last time you fitted a free standing wmc or dishwasher on a kitchen install?

10. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

Today, both the washing machine and dishy were freestanding. Have you actually looked at the prices of freestanding and integrated washing machines ? And then looked at the difference between the two ?...................the only difference is 2 hinges.................the price difference is huge.

11. metrokitchens

metrokitchens Screwfix Select

I think int washing machines are pants. Homes need a utility area - a simple closet will do. Big enough for a w/m, t/d stacked. Plus iron board etc...

Time to change our design ideas.

kitfit1 likes this.
  12. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

100% agree with you metro. In my own house both the washer and tumbler are stacked in the utilty room. The only Cleaning machine that belongs in a kitchen is a dishwasher in my opinion.

13. metrokitchens

metrokitchens Screwfix Select

And the wife of course ;-)

14. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

If mine was still alive, it would be her stacking the dishy, not me :D