Hacked Gmail address.

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by Allsorts, Aug 1, 2018.

1. Allsorts

Allsorts Super Member

Not me but someone I know.

He seems to think that, even when the account is returned to him, it'll never recover its previous level of security.

I would have thought that, once he's changed his password, secondary email account details etc. it should be back to where it was before?

(Of course, all his contacts and stuff will have been compromised).

Any idea?

Thanks.

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

The biggest cause of trouble is peeps open emails from peeps they don't know, not all dodgy emails go to spam & those emails having a payload.
    I get emails from peeps addressing by my first name,& those just get deleted

With Gmail,I have always used 2-Step Verification, which requires both your password and your phone, plus I have seperate emails accounts, for home,work,online shopping,etc.( never been hacked yet.)
    Also there is a preview feature, which allows you to view message before opening it.

https://www.google.com/landing/2step/

Last edited: Aug 1, 2018
    Allsorts likes this.
  3. I don't use gmail or any of the other common platforms...use email provided with my ISP and own a couple of domains with email forwarding so no one can know what my ISP email address is. Also means if I change ISP, email stays the same.

4. Allsorts

Allsorts Super Member

Cheers, KIAB.

But will the previous level of security be achieved when the account is returned? Surely 'yes'?

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Yes,as you will have changed password.

But, as your contact list was compromised, then I suppose they could become targets for hacking.

Allsorts likes this.
  6. Allsorts

Allsorts Super Member

The beauty of Gmail is that it's so usable, and is known by everyone - very easy to tell folk your email addy. And, regardless of which ISP you are with, it remains yours.

(And the person I am writing about told me about googlemail when it first came out, so I was able to get in early and have the addy with my exact name on it.)

I like gmail - it's very easy to use. I also use Outlook with my ISP email addy - what a pitiful system in comparison.

7. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Monkey on the keyboard for a password and 2 factor switched on and should be fine. Listened to a security podcast where boyfriend took over ex partners Gmail. He then turned on 2 factor verification and had his fun with account. Google sorted but sounded a real nightmare what this ex xxxx did. Lock your accounts down and password protected home pc and smart devices.

8. Allsorts

Allsorts Super Member

"Monkey on the keyboard"? What the?

9. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Writing Shakespeare?

10. Allsorts

Allsorts Super Member

"Writing Shakespeare"? What the...

this one could run and run...

11. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

An infinite amount of monkeys...

12. Allsorts

Allsorts Super Member

Yes but... "Monkey on the keyboard for a password..." - does Wayners mean a pile of 'random' characters?

13. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I have no idea what Wayneers was on about but then again I rarely do :)

Allsorts likes this.
  14. facilities

facilities Guest

My email is with BT and they now want £7.50. pm for the privilege, it was £5.00 pm

15. Allsorts

Allsorts Super Member

KIAB mentioned that - what's involved in this?

Cheers.

16. Allsorts

Allsorts Super Member

What are the benefits of a paid service like this? Greater security, I guess? Anything else?

Ta.

17. Broon

Broon Active Member

Allsorts likes this.
  18. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Monkey on the keyboard password would look like this..."cV*c2kj%'ZJslc! 16 digits and a mix of characters, symbols and numbers. I use an app to manage all my passwords but the more you it mix up the better. Write it down in a book is fine to if you prefer. Never use the same password twice. Never just add 123. Or abc to the end of an currently used password either. Never use a word in a dictionary.You can't hack Gmail unless you have access to their phone or pc but you can guess someones password to gain access.

Allsorts likes this.
  19. Allsorts

Allsorts Super Member

Cool site - I checked my mate's addy and - sure enough - it shows as one breach.

Checked through my addies - 'ok'...'ok'...'5 breaches... :eek:

Password changed... :(

Cheers Broon :)

20. Allsorts

Allsorts Super Member

Cheers - that makes sense.

On your advice I've 'high' security and stopped using '123' at the end of a password. It's now '333'.

sits back, hands behind head, reeeellaaaaxxxx....

Wayners likes this.