Do I need

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Isitreally, Aug 6, 2018.

1. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

Mains powered smoke alarm in new single story extension, I haven't allowed for one and am ready to plaster so need to know asap. :):)

2. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

I don't think you do but will be interested to hear others comments.

3. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

It has been known for BC to insist on interlinked in my experience, I always do it now just in case tbh.

4. baldelectrician.com

baldelectrician.com Well-Known Member

5. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

Yes? We have battery alarms on both floors and co2 alarms as well, its just the mains power i was asking after, i would put a battery one in the extension.

6. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

You really need to ask your LABC. They can insist on stuff like this, even if it’s not on the plans, even if it’s not in Building Regs!

7. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

No brainer 2 interlinked smokes at least am surprised they not on plans or been asked to install them

8. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

Plans are 10 years old, there were never any smoke alarms mentioned.

9. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

Hmm, willing to take the risk with LABC or BC, with 10 year old plans?:rolleyes:

10. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

No, though the labc web page isn't conclusive about fitting them, im going to put the wiring in place before plastering and if they say anything its there.

Sparkielev and Rulland like this.
  11. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

Sounds like a plan matey:)

12. Mr A greig

Mr A greig Member

My understand in Scotland no but they need to be interlinked. Having said that better safe than sorry.

13. diy_nixy

diy_nixy Active Member

When we had a loft conversion done (so its now grounds floor, 1st floor, 2nd floor building effectively), smoke alarms had to be fitted in all habitable rooms excl bathroom - interlinked mains powered. So it might depend on the existing reasons why you have interlinked mains powered alarms?

14. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

Interlinked smokes are mandatory for houses that are more than two floors.

15. Sparkielev

Did a loft conversion on a bungalow plans said 2 interlinked smokes, when inspector came out to sign job off he said he wanted smokes in every room inc lounge about an extra 6 in total was a nightmare

16. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Because by then everything would have been plasterboarded, skimmed and painted, with carpets down, perhaps?

Sparkielev likes this.
  17. Sparkielev

Did you miss the part were I said loft conversion, everything was in floors down ceilings plastered yeah simple running new cables

18. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Kentsparky with a new name :rolleyes:

19. Sparkielev

Wasn't a few chases was a 2 bed loft conversion with onsuite with 2 bedrooms below and lounge and kitchen had to use radio link bases at the owners expense which was around £500 in parts

20. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Or a few channels in new ceilings cut, new holes drilled, wary of damaging anything for fear of having to rectify at your cost, floor taken up, etc, how could it be anything other than a nightmare?

Sparkielev likes this.