Erbauer do a good job in marketing !!!

Discussion in 'Tool Talk' started by sospan, Aug 6, 2018.

1. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

I was working on one of the cottages today and heard some heavy hammering coming from my neighbours house. I wandered over to have a look and he is trying to fix his flooring system that has expanded and started to cup.

Whilst I was chatting to him he swapped from beating the c**p out of the floor to using a multitool to trim the edges. This thing was screaming and smoke coming up, I said hang I will get mine which will be easier. I brought over my Fein SuperCut to be told "If my Erbauer won't cut through this 12mm flooring, I don't think that will!" Hmm ok I thought, I have better things to do with my time and went back to concreting

Whilst i admit some some of the cheaper brands can do quite a good job, I still find it quite amusing that you give something a name that sounds "German" implies a degree of quality.

Three hours of mixing and laying concrete, he was still at it :)

2. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Erbauer. that well known generic Chinese company.

3. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Thought Erbauer were hi-fi headphones.:)

4. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

What's the smiley for "groan"?

Astramax likes this.
  5. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Try :rolleyes: or o_O

6. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I thought they were for pointing out HA's errors

7. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

Same as diy people with their green Bosch tools saying any Bosch tools have to be top quality because they are German.

8. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Makes as much sense as denying the laws of physics. :p:p:p

Heat likes this.
  9. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

I bought the Fein recently and used to have a Bosch PMF (Green) multi tool and there is a world of difference between them especially in terms of vibration.

10. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

I have the 240 volt Fein multitool and it certainly is a tough machine, with little vibration. I bought it a few years ago on recommendation of a joiner. I use it mainly for cutting floorboards neatly on top of joists and for backs of kitchen units or ply walls.
    Noisy though and really need ear protection, especially when you are using it along with your head inside a kitchen unit. :)
    I also have the Lidl Parkside machine and for £30 inc blades etc, it is cheap. Overheats when used for a few minutes, but no surprise for a cheap tool. Handy to have in van.
    I think with mains powered Bosch tools it has to be only the blue pro range to buy. The green range is poor quality.

11. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

I have a few of the Lidl multi tools but they are mainly used by my grown up kids for delta sanding as you say they are ok but not good for continuous use as the vibration and heat are a killer.

The Bosch has served me well over the years but need something to deal with the restoration of some 9 pane windows. I have never seen putty like this before, it resists everything; heat, steam, even resists being hit with a hammer and chisel / purdy decorators tool.

Bought a cordless Fein Suppercut with the Window Restoration kit. The only thing that is making any headway on the putty is the circular HSS saw blades. So far it has been 4 days of cutting, chipping, sanding and probably another 3 before it can see paint. Probably would have been quicker to have built new ones :oops:

12. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

My Fein 240v Multi is 10 years old and still going strong! Used and occasionally abused, but there is nothing better.

13. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

It was only recently, I realised they had been making oscillating machines for 40 years

14. masterdiy

masterdiy Screwfix Select

sospan, what about a Router. They work well on window frames to get the putty out.

15. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

The problem at this stage is removing the putty to get all the glass and glazing pins out before the router can go near it.

I normally use a router to clean up at the end and then increase the rebate depth to fit double glazed units. Even using a router isn't as easy as it should be because the windows are really old they aren't flat and bow/cup in all directions all the heights and widths of each row & column of panes are different. Even the glazing bars aren't true which makes using a bearing cutter difficult. I use a jig I made up with a slot that takes a guide bush and then use quite an expensive cutter to remove the residual putty and set the depth for the glazing

masterdiy likes this.
  16. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

I don't understand why Screwfix is still stocking Erbauer products. They must have more returns of Erbauer products than from all the other manufacturers put together!
    I tried many of their consumables, like drill bits, cutting discs and saw blades (attracted mainly by the price), but returned every one of them. Never again!

17. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

I remembering reading that Fein made the worlds first electric power tool. So they should be getting them right by now. :)

18. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

This is highlights the problem Screwfix faces - Is it a trade or DIY supplier ? A lot of the Erbauer stuff is probably bought by the DIY end of the market whom are occasional users and probably don't realise that masonry bits should cut better and last longer than some of the Erbauer ones.

I once bought a couple of packs of Erbauer pozidrive impact bits, it became a game who could drive a single screw in the furthest before the bit shattered. At a pound each, they aren't exactly cheap

19. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I have an erbauer palm sander, it dosnt offer dust facility as no port or bag.

But do find it pretty good, there isn't much vibration.

I also have a Makita 1/4 sander and find this more noisy with more vibration, not good if using over long period of time as fingers go numb!

For less vibration and noise, I would be happy spending the extra. But in this case the Makita at twice the cost is a let down.

20. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

Erbauer (UK) Ltd is, I believe a Screwfix or Kingfisher company along with Watersmith, NoNonsense, Locke&Co, Moretti, Forge steel and others. All of them sub-contract manufacturing out to wherever gives best value.