Jihadists

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by Harry Stottle, Jul 24, 2018.

1. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I tried making a post for productive discussion and the leavers pooped all over it.

btiw2 likes this.
  2. btiw2

btiw2 Screwfix Select

Oh yeah. I’d forgotten about that one.

You’re right - stuff it.

Instead, let’s see who can invent the most obscene and hurtful comment that’s still subtle enough to make it past SF Pete.

I’ll need a drink first. You can’t turn discuss into disgust without a g&t.

Allsorts likes this.
  3. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I didn't get told off for my last rant against the racists and that wasn't very subtle.

4. btiw2

btiw2 Screwfix Select

I just looked it up. My understanding of the meaning was right, but I was slightly wrong on the origin.

It was coined by the Conservative party in the 90s (I thought it was older) as “clear blue water”. It’s not nautical; it’s a rowing term.

Bloody Tories! How privileged must you be when even your idioms have been to Oxbridge?

I say we coin a phrase for the rest of us; a phrase for people who didn’t couple with dead pigs in their youth.

How about these?:
    • There’s more than a shim between remainers and leavers.
    • You could drive an artic between their positions.
    • There’s not enough expanding foam to fill that gap.
    • You could fill the chasm between their ideologies with the bloated corpses of tories and still have room for the DUP.
    Best stop. I seem to have taken a dark turn.

Jord86, chippie244 and Allsorts like this.
  5. Allsorts

Allsorts Super Member

6. Tangoman

Tangoman Well-Known Member

1) Nobody is a terrorist, a murderer, a paedophile, or a criminal of any kind until they have been convicted in a court of law - or are people now arguing that we should have mob rule?

2) The death penalty has been proven NOT to act as a deterrent

3) If we're killing people who break our laws, and jihadists are killing people who break theirs, then what's the difference?

7. Allsorts

Allsorts Super Member

Did you see these two 'suspects' being interviewed by one of their captives last night, a photographer who was ultimately released. They wouldn't answer him and cut the meeting short.

Spineless, cowardly, utterly worthless. But not even that photographer thought they should be put to death, but did point out how they were so cowardly that they gave themselves up rather than be killed; they didn't even have the courage of their convictions.

But capital punishment is wrong. Not only must we maintain the moral high ground - demonstrate how we are different to them - but it would also ultimately be counter-productive if anything.

Don't forget that ISIS lost huge support because of how brutal they became; even staunch believers tired of their ways. What would putting these two pitiful men to death do? It would make them 'martyrs' to be fawned over. It would allow ISIS to claim that the West is no different to them. It would show any other jihadists that there is no point giving in - the opposition will show them no mercy, so best carry on to the death; wreak as much damage as you can in the process.

And it doesn't even work as a deterrent.

Allowing for all that, I think you should treat with caution the judgement of anyone who still demands it.

like the u-s on here

8. facilities

facilities Guest

point 2, I would think the death penalty would deter the terrorist, a murderer, or paedophile, from doing it again

retiredsparks and Allsorts like this.
  9. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Majority of murders are domestic and I don't think a death sentence will bother a suicide bomber. Paedophilia wasn't a capital offence

10. Allsorts

Allsorts Super Member

I think what Facs is saying is that if we were to kill all the Muslims, male members of our society over the age of 10, and anyone with an excessively high level of testosterone, then we should see a reduction in terrorism, murder and paedophilia.

A bit harsh in my view.

I'd start with just Leavers... :rolleyes:

facilities likes this.
  11. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

Death penalty can be appropriate if someone is killed, (for example, shot by police) when they are are a danger to others.
    But I am uncomfortable about the killing of a person once you have them in prison.
    One point usually missed about murderers escaping the death penalty is some will go on to murder again if released from prison.

12. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

On point (1) Legally, yes, - innocent until proven guilty is our law system.
    But in reality you can be a murderer or a terrorist without being convicted of anything.

13. facilities

facilities Guest

Non mentioned would attract the death penalty in this country as we do not have any capital offences, mores the pity, (I’m not going into great detail as on fiddly IPhone and waiting for our evening entertainment to start in our hotel, but if he doesn’t turn up I can always look up DA’s & Chippies old posts) as a tax payer I resent paying to keep the scum mentioned and have no interest in trying to rehabilitate,

Perhaps add to that list local suicide drivers on the country lanes of North Devon :eek:

14. btiw2

btiw2 Screwfix Select

I believe that in the US (who have the most experience with this) it costs much more to kill someone than imprison them for life.
    I think it's because much more is spent on legal cases which seek the death penalty. It's terribly embarrassing if the conviction is found to be wrong and you're forced to release a corpse, therefore they tend to spend more money on those cases.

As a tax payer you have to choose how much extra it's worth to you to kill someone rather than throw away the key.

I suppose we could recoup some of the money via pay-per-view.
    I know! How much are kidneys worth? Do they have any gold fillings?

I'm happy that we've dispensed with moral questions and now we're just balancing profits and losses.
    I always wondered why Lady Justice carried scales.

I can't quite parse the last bit. You have no interest in trying to rehabilitate people or scum have no interest in rehabilitation?

It's quite true that the recidivism rate amongst those killed by the state is very low indeed. I don't have the exact stats to hand, but it must be less than 10%.

15. fillyboy

fillyboy Screwfix Select

It's even worse in Cornwall mate. On one particular road I frequent, lots of single lane and blind bends, I saw more accidents in a year that I saw in ten years driving into London.
    Even now I approach these bends at 5 maybe 10mph max, it's a tight blind bend wide enough for 1 vehicle, and some local will come round at 25 mph and you can see the look of shock and horror on their face as they stand on the brakes, completely stunned that a car or van should be coming from the opposite direction.

retiredsparks and facilities like this.
  16. facilities

facilities Guest

Yes bt some good suggestions there, I would imagine the largest take up rate on ppv would be relative of those murdered abused or in anyway affected, but I’m also sure there would be a massive global audience of right minded individuals who would also like to take a look, I’d put my name down, I would arrange a dinner party around it.

btiw2 likes this.
  17. btiw2

btiw2 Screwfix Select

I know you would.

Do you have any ideas on the format? I wonder if the Countdown theme can be licensed.

Failing that, there’s probably money in medical experiments. Ideally experiments need a control subject, so if the condemned had an identical twin then that’d be worth more money to the pharmaceutical companies. Email Bayer, set up a meeting.

See? Now Brexit has got us out of those pesky human rights, Britain’s financial future is assured. You should post this in Chippie’s advantages of Brexit thread.

facilities likes this.
  18. facilities

facilities Guest

bt I would put you in charge of programme scheduling at the BBC,

Not sure about the Medical experiments the Germans got a very bad press about that over 70 years ago, so I would leave that for now