Sticky gunk under bathroom sink

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by KuBabiButa, Aug 9, 2018.

Tags:
  1. KuBabiButa

KuBabiButa New Member

Hi,

Apologies if this is the wrong place to post this.

I recently moved into a flat and while I was cleaning, I found some a dirty, sticky substance underneath a bathroom sink (in the joint between the sink basin and the stand). As I just moved in, I have no idea what it is. I have uploaded some pictures I took of it at: https://imgur.com/a/ULTzdXz

It looks horrible and was wondering if anybody here has any experience. Could it be a botched job at sealing the joint? Just accumulated dirt/gunk? Can I safely remove it? Should I seal the joint up?

Any advice or help would be much appreciated. =)

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Looks like some horrible plumbing sealing gunk like plumbers mait or similar.

Been use to bed basin onto pedestal, can clean it off,if you want to seal gap, use a sanitary silicone like Dow 785 or similar.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
  3. KuBabiButa

KuBabiButa New Member

This is the first time I am attempting such a job. Do you have advice on how to clean it off without damaging the basin/pedestal?

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

It's a real nightmare to remove, use a plastic scraper,I find a old credit card useful,doesn't mark ceramic like metal can,but some use a stanley blade to scrap it off..
    Can use a lump of plumbers mait to remove itself,also a dry cloth to rub it off, & a lot of elbow grease is needed.

WD40 might also work for removing,it's great for a lot of things.

5. just pumps

just pumps Screwfix Select

WD40 is oil though so that will need removing or the silicone wont grip.

retiredsparks and KIAB like this.
  6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Good point.:oops:

Would meth sprits work?

7. just pumps

just pumps Screwfix Select

Time consuming but, credit card & dry cloth with elbow grease. OP wouldn't have to dig every last bit out.

8. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

Meths will clean the WD away after using it to remove the silicone, I use meths on all surfaces before applying silicone to clean the surface.

retiredsparks and KIAB like this.
  9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Thought it would.:)

10. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

White spirit works on Plumbers Mait;)
    Always use it to clean up when I use Mait.

11. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Super Member

White spirit will leave a residue.....so if it is used...remove it with meths to get a perfect clean surface.
    Also white spirit is highly poisonous and will absorb thru skin
    Rs

12. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

OMG! The amount I have used cleaning bitumen and Denso tape off my hands for the last 40 years I'm a dead man walking!:eek::eek::eek:;)

retiredsparks likes this.
  13. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

The tip about meth removing any residue is a good one, and meth leaves the surface clean with no residue.

KIAB likes this.
  14. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Super Member

dont worry , it only effects brain cells...lol
    RS

15. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Not to worry the leadwork I have done did that already!