Advice on under stair ensure in maisonette

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Tewe3018, Aug 9, 2018.

1. Tewe3018

Tewe3018 New Member

Hi

I would like to fit a very small ensure under the stairs in a ground floor maissonette.

The area is 198 by 88 cm - potentially dependent on wall removal.

Two questions I would be really greatful for help with.

Can I remove the wall spanning the staircase between cupboards to make the space (I’m worried it is supporting)?

Is it possible to create an ensuite including tiny corner shower in this space?

Can I put in a properly plumbed toilet - I’ve heard bad things about floods with the macerators. There is another bathroom across the hallway.

Thanks in advance for all help

T

Attached Files:

2. The Teach

The Teach Screwfix Select

Whats your budget and have you got the necessary consents to do the work ?

3. Tewe3018

Tewe3018 New Member

I didn’t realize you had to get permission for bathrooms? I wanted to find out if it was possible before getting quotes. Thanks

4. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Probably, probably, probably.
    That's 3 questions.

5. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

The need for permission depends a lot on any structural work in the house, how you connect the drains and the electrics. You will also need to think about ventilation - either a window or an extractor.

Macerators do a job and do it well in the correct situation with the correct usage. The problem with Macerators is that they can be a real pain if/when they fail. At the moment I am fitting one that also takes bath waste to cottage I am renovating. The only reason I a fitting it is that there is no easy route to a drain that will take the waste.

If you want to post the plans and quotes you receive, you will get plenty of feedback from the members on here

6. Tewe3018

Tewe3018 New Member

Thanks - so you think it is possible ?

7. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Most things are possible - depending on space and budget ;)

But yes, I would start by taking some of the smaller structures out like the book cases and cupboards. I

If you find some timber thicker that 100 mm (4 inch) square then post some pictures and the posters on here will assess if it is required.

By clearing the space you will be able to layout the positions of things but get a better and cheaper quote from the trades because they don't have to do the clearing and will be able to see the space available

Good luck

8. Tewe3018

Tewe3018 New Member

Great advice - thanks!!

9. egon999

egon999 Member

New WC: definitely needs building regs

Can you remove wall? If its under the stairs it may bell be giving support to a landing or to trimming members of the floor above. strip the area back and see how its put together. you may need to put a structural frame in

Is it big enough: Up to you as you'll be the one using it but you'll need a handbasin in there too if you are putting a WC in.

Macerators?: Good solutions where you struggle for gravity drainage access. they have had bad press but I think because they are often misused. Post a question on the plumbers forum to get their opinions?

...remember you'll need ventilation too
    :)

10. Tewe3018

Tewe3018 New Member

Fantastic - really appreciate this! The walls under the cupboard are pretty solid I think you’re right - think I need some quotes

Thanks again

T

11. RCK77

RCK77 New Member

We just had a shower and toilet put under our stairs. It cost just over £4000 (we're in London) but we didn't use a mascerator. My builders dug a dirty great trench under the hallway and through the kitchen to connect to the soil pipe. I have a problem with the shower leaking (I'm just about to ask a question) so make sure that's done properly.

12. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Sometimes that is the only way it can go - through the house

13. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

Are you able to comment on designs that utilise SPAM as the primary construction material?