Gas pipe behind plasterboard.

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Jane11, Aug 9, 2018.

1. Jane11

Jane11 New Member

Please can someone help me with the conflicting information I've found and been given?

We are in the middle of having a garage conversion. Our gas pipe comes into what is currently the garage in the corner. Can this pipe be put behind a plasterboard wall? Our builder tells us that's fine and it just needs to be accessible so they put a removable section of wall. From googling this I've read all sorts of other information including that it needs to be clad in various rhings, it needs to be vented if its behind a wall, it's totally fine as this is what's done in all new builds. Etc. He says that pipes go through walls, floors etc all the time and you can't vent every space. What's the deal here please? Thanks.

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Rather naff place for a gas pipe behind a studwall,(but quite common on new builds sadly) if pipe ever leaked then you fill cavity before you even smelled the gas.

Don't do gas,so no idea of current regs for protection,etc.

3. DaveF

DaveF Active Member

There should be a vent, yes, top and bottom.

4. ajohn

ajohn Screwfix Select

You can't really rely on the web for information like that. You really need an answer from some one who is registered gas safe.

However I suspect your builder is correct and there is also probably no need for a removable panel as taking all uk housing stock there is an enormous amount of variation in how gas pipes are and have been installed. Where things get difficult is if there is a leak. Ours was checked recently and has a very slight leak but within the legally specified limit. The checks are done at the meter. We recently had a smart meter installed. If the leak was over the limit finding it can prove difficult when pipes aren't exposed but basically can be down to any joint in the piping or anything connected to it.

John
    -

5. Jane11

Jane11 New Member

Absolutely right, I wouldn't ever be taking final advice online. I suppose I'm just information gathering and trying to understand how it works. But I do trust the builders - they're very experienced and well respected. I do see that if there's a leak that could be an issue but as you say that could happen anywhere.

6. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

Not just venting that needs consideration. What about protection from screws and nails? I don't know the answer but that must also be taken into account.

7. The Teach

The Teach Screwfix Select

copper pipes supplying natural gas can be within any wall,there are pages of regulations and the installer will have up to date reference material at hand or in the van :) to ensure the alteration is correct.

Dont trust google or a builder with gas :(. You can always ask the gas pipe installer for a certificate which ensures the householders safety has not been compromised :)

8. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

Regardless of what any regulations might say, I would NEVER box in a gas pipe. You could inadvertently be creating a bomb!

9. What about all those gas pipes under floor boards...nice big cavity for gas to collect should the pipe get a puncture.

10. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

Agree entirely - I wouldn't do that either!

11. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

12. Cwt

Cwt New Member

Cannot run in stud wall. If dot and dab then gas pipe needs protecting and dry wall adhesive needs placing either side of gas pipe for its full length so if it's drilled into gas comes out into the room rather than fill a void.
    Can be put in ducts but need to ventilated either end