Erbauer do a good job in marketing !!!

Discussion in 'Tool Talk' started by sospan, Aug 6, 2018.

1. diy_nixy

diy_nixy Active Member

Cheap tools also have their use sometimes. For example, you wouldn't use your best Irwin or Marples chisel to cut away a piece of floor board incase you hit a nail (maybe you can't be bothered to go back to the van and get out your multitool or don't have one in the first place to hand).

You might only be working with rough sawn timber on a building site, in which case you don't need a £30 Stanley Rabone combination square. Just a basic £10 set square will do the job before someone decides do tread all over it or drop it in the concrete footing you just laid.

I hate cheap power tools myself as well, but sometimes they can act as a cheap backup in emergencies. Having said that my blue Bosch professional router blew up last week after very little use. Sparks, smoke and a burning smell. Rather annoying. If it was a cheap £30 Aldi router I wouldn't be bothered. A £150 replacement is harder to swallow.

2. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

Did you check if the motor brushes had worn out? Usually only cost a few pounds. They can make a terrible burning smell and produce sparks when the brush wears down.
    So many people throw out perfectly good machines assuming because the motor stops that it is ruined.

longboat likes this.
  3. diy_nixy

diy_nixy Active Member

I haven't checked anything yet on the router. But good point. I will try and find some time to open it up. Thankyou.

Heat likes this.
  4. AlvyChippy

AlvyChippy Active Member

By Bosch GOP 35 40 (STARLOCK) is simply better than fein250 - said so by the owner of fein ;)
    The trick is movement at a right speed and bit of a patience to not to over rev it.

5. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

The Fein 250 is very under powered hence I went for the SuperCut - 450 w motor compared to the 250 w and with a greater blade sweep

6. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Fein are the absolute business, but so much of the effectivness of multitools is down to sharp blades.

Had a couple of Feins(superb) Bosch 10.8v(garbage) Stanley Fatmax (not bad)

Curently got a Dewalt XR. Pretty good, not as good as the Fein but the fact its on the same battery as my other kit is what swings it.

7. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

I was torn between the Dewalt and Fein on battery compatibility and price difference (£300+) but it was the promise of reduced vibration of all things that swung it for me - too many injuries in my fingers and arms to tolerate during long term use.

There is quite a good, seemingly unbiased review below. There is quite a shocking spread of results from their speed test (cutting a 2x2) a Festool Vecturo did their test in 4.6 seconds whilst a Fein did it in 43.6 seconds. As you say a lot was down to the quality and type of blade as well as the machine

https://www.protoolreviews.com/buying-guides/best-oscillating-tool-review-and-shootout/

8. RolandK

RolandK Screwfix Select

I've never had any problems with Bosch tools on a DIY basis but I do regard them as 'entry level' for occasional DIY use. For anything that's going to get a real pasting I'd go upmarket. Having said that I have a Bosch mains drill that has had some serious use and abuse over about 15 years and it just goes on!

Heat likes this.
  9. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

The older "Green" tools used to be almost indestructible, some of the newer ones have really soft plastic components especially on the case and chucks

10. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

The blue Bosch mains tools are the professional range and very good no doubt.
    Their blue ‘professional’ range of cordless tools vary in quality and some IMO are not really top professional tools.
    Green Bosch seem to be just the sheds selling them

11. AlvyChippy

AlvyChippy Active Member

My bad- I meant 350w multimaster.

Great comparison linky, wish to have had it when purchased upgraded mine...but I've had fun "splitting hair's" and having lengthy opinion exchange's here. :D