Builders merchants answering the telephone

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by sospan, Aug 8, 2018.

1. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Anybody have the same problem trying to get their builders merchant to answer the phone ?

So many of them can't be bothered to pick up the phone and just rely on people visiting the counter. When n I have been in some of the yards checking things out, I can see people wandering about ignoring the phone.

It isn't like they are answering lots of time wasting questions about the best type of undercoat or what is the best size screw to hold a handle in a sweeping brush. One builders merchant it was 9 calls before they answered to the details for a quote and then never came back - the value of the order about £850 of plant hire and £1,100 of materials.

I wouldn't normally bother but the big problem is that there is such a variance in prices between the merchants and also between the advertised price and what you get by ordering in bulk - £720 + vat on a lorry load of blocks !

2. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Super Member

In the last 7 years I must have spent 37 grand on materials for my personal houses (albeit i made a handsome tax free profit on both).
    Not a penny spent locally as both Robert Price and Travis Perkins could not care less about service or being competative.
    Local Homebase probably closing (good riddance).
    Last week saw a pair of rubberised work gloves in there for
    £6.50 !!!!....and bought 4 pairs in Buyology for 1.50 each and better quality.
    Just some feedback
    Rs

3. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

I booked out 3 planks at local merchant only to be told that the last 3 planks were in a state and yard staff keep telling counter staff not to sell them. 3 planks were ordered from another branch and told to come back the following day to pick up. They came but hire planks covered in muck. Was told they will drop off 3 planks when they get some in and delivery will be free. 2 weeks later I get a delivery or the 3 original planks that were in a state. I took back. I don't know how they stay in business but they do. I avoid but I guess you got your use for large orders. It's really got worse over the last 10 years with staff that just don't care. Turn up then go home and take the pay while it lasts

4. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

I booked out 3 planks at local merchant only to be told that the last 3 planks were in a state and yard staff keep telling counter staff not to sell them. 3 planks were ordered from another branch and told to come back the following day to pick up. They came but hire planks covered in muck. Was told they will drop off 3 planks when they get some in and delivery will be free. 2 weeks later I get a delivery of the 3 original planks that were in a state. I took back. I don't know how they stay in business but they do. I avoid but I guess you got your use for large orders. It's really got worse over the last 10 years with staff that just don't care.

KIAB likes this.
  5. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Robert Price that's a name from the past. I used to have an account with them about 20 years ago, I hadn't seen any advertising from them for a long time and assumed they had been bought out by someone else.

Some of the prices I see do get me annoyed - I can buy 5 bags Mastercrete cement in B&Q as a retail customer for just over £21 and once purchased I get a voucher to spend on my next purchase. The cheapest quote from a builders merchant was £6.50 plus vat £39.

However, I just got a half lorry load of very good quality blocks 58p each plus vat from a local builders merchant. However, the published price is £1.62 in Travis Perkins. Not funny when you are buying 750 at a time.

At the moment I am going through about £3,000 a month on materials and one builders merchant said this week, "if you need anything call me direct". Called today to speak to him and after 3 calls found out - on holidays for 3 weeks :mad:

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Robert Price still around in taffy land.:D

Builder merchants have gone down hill a lot in my opinion in the last 10 years,not much choice here now, Jewson is bad, & TP not much better.

7. masterdiy

masterdiy Screwfix Select

Cant complain with RGB.
    Very helpful guys.
    Prices, well thats another thing. I find ring first get best price, compare with b&q then remind them when collecting.

8. fillyboy

fillyboy Screwfix Select

9. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

I use a local Keyline occasionally and found I needed a specific underground MDPE connector last Friday. It had to be Plasson - no question. Called Keyline, answered within 3 or 4 rings, "yes we should have one" went and did physical check just in case. All for a £3 purchase. Their prices are normally way better that Travis Perkins who part of the same group, service excellent and availability of their standard product range very good.

Have found B&Q retail prices are extremely good for sand, ballast, aggregate and cement when compared to a lot of merchants. Bagged sand - needed some urgently and no chance of a delivery with an hour or two. Collected from B&Q at a price probably lower than a bulk delivery.

10. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

It is largely down to individual stores management. Each employee should be told how to behave with customers or they are out of a job.

11. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

My view has always been that if more people were self employed, sickness rates would drop and quality would go up for those working. However, the benefits system would not be able to cope with the vast number of completely useless people we currently have in this country.

Jord86 and Heat like this.
  12. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

I agree with that completely. I would also add that if benefits were cut (or a basic pay rate job given) to a lot of the unemployed, then suddenly they would decide to go and do work.
    Country is full of useless people who literally do not know what working is.
    Maybe it is us, as customers, who are at fault regarding poor customer service at merchants and other businesses. We should complain to management or/and head office and ask them to do a test phone call to the guilty company on the pretence of asking for materials, to prove what poor service they will receive