I have hot water...but heating is off

Discussion in 'Engineers' Talk' started by Dot99, Jul 22, 2018.

1. Dot99

Dot99 Active Member

Hi

I have a gravity fed system y plan system, hot water tank in airing cupboard.

Due to the fantastic warm weather I haven't turned on the heating whatsoever. Over 2 weeks ago I set the hot water on for a few hours for washing dishes etc. I still have hot water coming through the taps. Is this normal? I would think by now the hot water would be all used.

I know the boiler is not firing and the pump is not running. Immersion heater is off

Any ideas... thanks.

2. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

You have no low tariff immersion’s?
    Is your cylinder a well insulated unit?
    I would have thought your hot water would be declining in heat after 3 or 4 days in a small cylinder

3. Philde

Philde Member

Is cold water tank in roof space, if so how hot is roof space? Is water actually 'hot' or just very warm?

Dot99 likes this.
  4. Dot99

Dot99 Active Member

Forgot about this.

Yes, cold water in roof. I think it was the summer heat keeping the water very warm.

All ok now. Cheers

5. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

Get your cold water tank in attic insulated to help prevent the water getting warm and to help avoid it freezing in winter.

Dot99 likes this.
  6. Dot99

Dot99 Active Member

Never had that freezing problem (yet), in the 5 years I've been here. Will have a check to see if it's insulated

7. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

It is very rare the cold water tank itself freezes, but it can happen in very severe cold weather, especially if that area (like in an attic) is not insulated from the cold outside.
    Usually pipes will freeze first.
    It is now a regulation to have cold tanks fitted with an insulation jacket and a proper sealed lid and bylaw kit which also included an overflow fitting that contains a gauze to keep insects out.
    But no need to uprate everything on an existing tank, other than be sure to have a proper lid and insulation jacket

8. blannder

blannder New Member

I think the hot weather is responsible to this condition. Nevertheless, it's really amazing. It saves you effort and energy. :)