Replace push button flush?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by fred812, Aug 11, 2018.

1. fred812

fred812 Screwfix Select

One side of my daughters push button flush has broken, still works but needs replacing but on lifting cisten lid there is resistance, like theres a cable between the button and the syphon?

I've assembled a couple of push button systems but not encontered this. The resistance is such that the lid barely lifts.

Any advice please.

Thanks.

2. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

Is the push button on the lid (like in European toilets) or on the cistern (like in UK toilets)?
    If the former, it could accidentally have got itself hooked over something inside.
    Can you jiggle it around a bit, or poke something in through the gap to dislodge/move anything that might be preventing the lifting?

3. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Unscrew the outer part of button. Lid will then lift off then. Don't pull or you will break it. Some have a cable to button while others the button is fixed to flush mechanism. You can get spares but I often replace the lot

4. fred812

fred812 Screwfix Select

5. just pumps

just pumps Screwfix Select

Some unscrew as #3, others you need to gently prise the buttons out and there is a screw underneath.

Heat likes this.
  6. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Ah Yes.. I had one with a screw under the button once. Push one button down to the pop the other one off. Fortunately it was already brocken so no problems removing, so I replaced with different mechanism. That's 3 fixing types we have identified. Nightmare to work out how it all comes apart

7. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

Agree, lots of them have a large plastic screw in the centre, (once the buttons are removed).
    The buttons that are attached to a cable, although handy, risk getting damaged by diy people oblivious to the cable. Could drop the cistern lid when cable pulls on it