Wall preparation for 1m x 1m tiles

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by Sam365, Aug 11, 2018.

1. Sam365

Sam365 New Member

Hi guys

I'm tiling my bathroom with 1m x 1m x 12mm thickness porcelain tiles on to plaster which has been patched in places where it wasn't solid, old plaster seems solid enough, these tiles are really heavy,

I've cleaned the walls of dust and given it a coat of plasterers pva grit, will that be good enough?

If not can I put SBR on top of that pva grit or will I have to scrape it off and apply SBR,

Also I want to tile on a stud wall out side of the bathroom - these are standard plasterboards, will that plasterboard be strong enough for me to tile on to, timbers are set at 450mm centres, or would you recommend replace with hardy backer boards?

Any guidance & advice/tips would be much appreciated

Thanks

Sam

2. Sam365

Sam365 New Member

I forgot to mention I'm going to use a good quality flex tile powder adhesive

3. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

You'd prob be best to replace the lot with Hardie backer as you'll need a surface capable of carrying all that weight. Standard PB, can carry 32kg/m2 including adhesive and grout...how heavy are your tiles?

Also, when you say PVA grit, do you mean blue grit?

Sam365 and KIAB like this.
  4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

A darn lot of weight.

Sam365 likes this.
  5. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

I am thinking tiles that big (and expensive) even I would get a pro in.

KIAB likes this.
  6. John.h.

John.h. Member

Replace with something like jackoboard. Easier to use than hardie backer board

John..

Sam365 likes this.
  7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Definitely.

And Jackoboard is one product I've never used.

Sam365 likes this.
  8. John.h.

John.h. Member

I boarded my own bathroom walls with Kerdi board. I used 1200x600 tiles.

9. Sam365

Sam365 New Member

I've used blue grit, tiles are in a pack of 2 weighing 60kg so 30kg per tile,

10. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

30- 60 kg and around that size are municipal paving slabs that you find on a pavement.

Jord86 and KIAB like this.
  11. Sam365

Sam365 New Member

They are expensive £42 a tile, I've really struggled to get a tiler, tilers I've got to come and look have turned the work down even though I'll pay them whatever they want, I just need it done, tricky job as there are so many cuts

12. Sam365

Sam365 New Member

Many thanks for your time and guidance John, I've took your advice

13. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Have you asked on https://www.tilersforums.co.uk/

Sam365 likes this.