Fence post spur for garden gate post is not vertical.

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by SteveMJ, Aug 12, 2018.

1. SteveMJ

SteveMJ Active Member

I have a side gate attached to the wall beside my house. The gate closes against a post which was reinforced/repaired by a concrete spur a while back.
    The problem I want to fix that the concrete spur is not vertical and the gate closes against the top of the post leaving about 25mm gap at the bottom. Can I adjust this by putting a wooden spacer between the post and the spur to improve the closing?

Thanks a lot :) Steve

2. DIY womble

DIY womble Well-Known Member

How about a waterproof grey tile adhesive , look neater and a better job

3. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Can you not adjust on the hinge side to make the gate close better.

Some pictures would be good.

DIY womble likes this.
  4. DIY womble

Might be better but gate might swing ?

5. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Might do but it closing up properly trumps having to put a brick against it when its open for me.

Sometimes you are limited as to what you can do.

6. DIY womble

I thought a 1 inch gap was good going by site fencing standards

7. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

If you can’t move post and spur back to level then trim door at top and add timber at bottom

If overlap is same as gap at bottom you may be able to cut off in one piece, reverse and reattach

Depends on gap, overlap and gate construction

Picket style gate, T&G framed gate, other ?

Sounds like a slight lash up is required but if done neatly and gate is given a fresh lick of creosote / paint, then I bet it will look as good as new, dimensions top and bottom won’t notice and hey presto, no gaps :)

As above, post a pic

8. SteveMJ

SteveMJ Active Member

Thanks for the feedback. Here are some pics. Hopefully it will be clearer and an easy solution identified :)

The wall side would be difficult to fiddle with and the post is vertical. The opposing post, supported by the spur is 'off'. I have shown the gate closed at the top and a gap at the bottom. The stop screwed to the post will be difficult to move - I couldn't undo the screws. Another option would be to cut a wedge to fit between the gate and the stop. I think that would look more bodgy than a spacer between the spur top and the post.

Thoughts please?

Thanks again, Steve
    gate bottom.jpg gate top.jpg fence post spur.jpg fence wall side.jpg gate bottom.jpg gate top.jpg fence post spur.jpg gate bottom.jpg gate top.jpg fence post spur.jpg fence wall side.jpg gate bottom.jpg gate top.jpg fence post spur.jpg fence wall side.jpg gate bottom.jpg gate top.jpg fence post spur.jpg fence wall side.jpg

Attached Files:

9. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Hi so the problem is that when the gate shuts it touches the stop at the top and is away at the bottom?

In that case it looks like the stop is just nailed or screwed to the post behind. Just take it off and refix to suit the closing edge.

Or just nail a cover strip over to suit the closing edge.

Or mark the stop at the top the same distance it is at the bottom when it is closed. Join the two lines with a straight edge and trim it out with a multitool.

Or if the gate is 25mm away at the bottom when "shut", unscrew the top hinge "hook", screw a 25mm thick piece of timber to the post and refix the hook. That would sort it.

10. ginger tuffs

ginger tuffs Screwfix Select

can you not undo bolts on concrete spur and pack frame to suit door

11. SteveMJ

SteveMJ Active Member

Hi Ginger tuffs,

That was my original idea. I didn't explain myself so well. At the moment that seems easiest and simplest. Steve

12. SteveMJ

SteveMJ Active Member

So much for that idea, the bolt through the spur has sheared off :-( I'll post another question how to remove it!

13. DIY womble

I've got a special tool for that , the wife

14. SteveMJ

SteveMJ Active Member

I drilled a hole i the spur with an SDS drill and have added a wooden wedge to make the gate now shut 'nicely'.

It would have been easy apart from the bolt shearing.

Thanks for the suggestions. Steve