Dot and dab plasterboarding - novice questions

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by colmac2000, Aug 12, 2018.

1. colmac2000

colmac2000 Member

Hi - I was going to stick some insulated plasterboard in my garage but one wall is a bit tricky - the timber that the joists are resting on at the top of the wall is sticking out by about half an inch. I'm wondering if I can blob the adhesive on to half an inch thickness so that the board will sit flush with that timber and be half an inch off the block wall lower down?

Or...should I put half inch battens on the wall and screw the boards to that? Will half an inch be enough for the drywall screws to bite on? The boards would be about 40mm thick in total, so if I got 50mm screws that should work, in theory...

Thanks!

2. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Check level of wall, dot blobs on the wall, offer board up, screw top to timber wallplate, then using an aluminium or timber straightedge bang the board plumb and flat. The timber wallplate is your governing starting point, providing the wall is relatively plumb.

3. colmac2000

colmac2000 Member

So you reckon half an inch thickness of adhesive is fine...not too thick?

4. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

That's the ideal thickness.

5. colmac2000

colmac2000 Member

Awesome...and am I ok using adhesive with foil-backed insulated plasterboard? Does the adhesive bond ok to the foil?

6. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

No.

Jord86 likes this.
  7. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Its usually me that's a grumpy monosyllabic tw @t, not you, everything ok bud?

8. colmac2000

colmac2000 Member

9. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Forget that mate, costs too much and for some reason they don't recommend use on different plasterboard so. Type on Google 'bonding compound' and see what comes up.

10. colmac2000

colmac2000 Member

This stuff? It's more expensive though...
    https://www.mkmbs.co.uk/prodb005172-siniat-universal-bonding-compound-25kg-bags/

I was looking for the boards and I read that "You can fix Thermal Laminate boards by mechanical fixings or using drywall adhesive otherwise known as Dot n Dab. You should use two wallplugs no matter how you fix the thermal laminate boards."

Does that mean you should put at least two screws into the board even if you glue the rest? At the top I guess?

11. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Yes :D

Jord86 likes this.
  12. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Jesus Christ I stand corrected, is that the price of a bag of dab!? Just get the cheapest, they all do the same job, thieving pikeys. With regards to mechanical fixings, dab the boards first and let them go off(unless the boards are warped or bulging, then you have a bit of grief) then drill, plug and screw as many fixings as you want to secure it.

13. colmac2000

colmac2000 Member

Sorry for all the numpty questions but...if I stick the board on with half inch thick adhesive dabs and then screw through it too...the screws will be going through half an inch of air behind the boards...is that ok? Or do you try and screw through the adhesive dabs?

14. colmac2000

colmac2000 Member

I was at the builders' merchants and the guy there (who seemed to know what he was talking about) suggested just screwing the insulated boards directly to the wall with screws and wall plugs...bad idea?

15. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Yes.

Jord86 likes this.
  16. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

He may seem to know what he's talking about, but unfortunately, he doesn't.

17. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

If its a full board or less to the ceiling, then just carefully cut the foam away on the back of the board to coincide with the thickness of timber and dab away. This is presuming that you are not using a foil backed board.

How is the garage constructed, does it have a cavity, or single brick/block work?

What exactly is the need for insulating the garage, is it to create an inhabitable room, or just making it cosier while your having a drink and a Cig whilst playing darts with your mates?