Router hire for worktop

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by Coopers87, Aug 15, 2018.

1. Coopers87

Coopers87 New Member

Hi guys new to forum, looking for router hire with the correct bit to cut a laminate worktop, have a template, but would like to know best place to get a router from.
    Many thanks lee

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Hire shop, or get someone in to do just that job.

3. Coopers87

Coopers87 New Member

Know I can rent one from Jewson a bit willbit come with a worktop bit ? As never hired anything before so not sure.

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

You will need to buy the bit seperately, if you have never used a large router, would think it better to get someone in for a hour or two, that is experience with doing the work.

Seen a few users of a router wreck some expensive worktops due to their inexperience.

5. Using a router is a bit of an art, especially mitring worktops. Plenty to go wrong and mistakes are expensive.

kitfit1 and KIAB like this.
  6. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

As Kiab has said, a hire shop will hire a router and a 30mm guide bush. But you will have to buy the cutter.
    I'm sort of guessing you have never done this before ? If that is the case, if i was you i would get someone in to do the job for you. Being able to joint tops properly comes with experience and having the right tools. As you likely have neither, it can also be very very dangerous. As you are asking about Hiring, the chances are there will not be much difference in the cost either..........................but you will have all your fingers and working parts intact if you get a professional to do it :D

KIAB and seen it all before like this.
  7. seen it all before

seen it all before Active Member

had a client decline my price for fitting his work for tops for being far to dear as he could hire tools and buy the bit for for less than a £100
    Fast forward to the next week when I get a phone call telling me how he routed straight into the jig ( forgot to put bush on) so wrecked the jig and straight into the solid oak work top taking out a large chunk.
    Resulting in him having to spend another £300 for length of work top. £130 to replace the jig and the £100 he had already spent hiring the tools.
    Needless to say I did chuckle quietly to myself on the other end of the phone whilst declining his job offer on the grounds of I won't work for anyone who thinks I'm ripping them off.

8. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

I think we have all had that that call at various times lol. I am always far too busy to do anything about it though because they missed my only available slot for them for the next 8 weeks or so :D

seen it all before likes this.
  9. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Why do you have the jig but nothing to use it with?

longboat, kitfit1, KIAB and 1 other person like this.
  10. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

I have some sympathy with that. For instance, I'm sure I've got some condoms somewhere........

longboat, kitfit1, KIAB and 1 other person like this.
  11. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

Yes, don't know why i missed that question Chip....................................care to shed some light on that OP ?

12. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

:D:D:D

13. HappyHacker

HappyHacker Active Member

Many years ago a friend quoted the lady of the house £120 to cut down a very large oak tree behind a bungalow with a glass veranda along the back. The husband phoned him a few days later and gave him a bit of his mind for at least five minutes about quoting such a ridiculous amount. A few weeks later he was told the tree had been cut down for £50. Unfortunately it had fallen across the roof of the bungalow which required the use of a very large crane and a road closure to safely remove the tree bit by bit by some expensive tree surgeons. The husband had hired a couple of guys who had turned up asking if he needed any hedging done, when the tree fell they were in the van and away before they could get the number.

seen it all before likes this.
  14. gpierce

gpierce Active Member

I can see both sides to this.

First time I ever did a worktop join I did the same - hired the router, the jig etc and bought a bit. Watched a couple of long videos on YouTube about how to do it, took some time to check, double check, think about what I'm doing, check again at each stage, and got a pretty decent join. Not 100% perfect, although I doubt anyone would have looked twice or questioned it had it been a paying client. So it can be done. However....

I'd say in 90% of cases it isn't worth it. I did my own because a) I prefer to have the satisfaction of looking at a job well done, and know I did it myself. Cheesy yes, but it does make me a little bit proud, and b) I wanted to learn how to join worktops anyway, and since I'm self-taught at joinery, it was about my only option. If it wasn't for either of these, I'd have just hired somebody. The cost of hiring the equipment is not that much less than hiring a pro with the equipment, and realistically the time it took was probably close to a full day if you include watching videos on how to do it and all the research I did.

That's before, as others have mentioned, you take into account the fact you risk ruining the worktop, or the jig, or both.

KIAB likes this.
  15. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

You didn't get the jig and then wonder about the router though.
    I'd been using my big router for about 10 years before I bought a jig, they were very expensive then, and cutting worktops is still one of my least pleasureable tasks, a moment's lack of concentration and you've spunked a worktop.

seen it all before and KIAB like this.
  16. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

I hate doing worktops! I turn down all the "I have fitted a kitchen and just need the tops doing please" calls.

Usually Uncle Barry who has fitted the kitchen with the same level he used when he was a brickie in Pisa.

And the tops have been stored outside in the garden for a couple of years.