1st & 2nd fix housing site tips

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Robert2301, Aug 9, 2018.

1. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

If I am building sheds / out buildings or on straight walls I build a frame. In older properties where nothing is square I build in situ

2. Robert2301

Robert2301 New Member

How much would you expect to get paid for stair cases on new build site?

3. jimoz

jimoz Screwfix Select

200 ish plus bit more for the 2nd fix?
    No idea what rates u get though

4. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

What type of stairs? Straight, single winder, double winder, quarter landing, half landing, full turn? Post up your current rates and let's have a look and compare.

5. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

You show me yours first eh ;):D

6. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Sort of mate, sort of. Despite asking and receiving sound advice off experienced blokes the OP has been asked a couple of times to give an example of what the rates are where he works, not just for nosiness but to give an idea of how much time would be allowed and what is expected to be done within a day's work. For some reason he seems reluctant or cagey to elaborate, but was eager enough to request advice.

7. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

I know, hence the wink and smiley, there has been a lot of rate fishing posts recently and what appears to be the "cowboy" trades guys posing as DIYers asking how things should be done - the cavity trays then insulation thread looked like one of those and the goalpost RSJ was another.

Jord86 likes this.
  8. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Coppers instinct :D

9. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

That's why the kids are reluctant to bring their new partners home - but normally get the dog to sus them out first :D

DIY womble and Jord86 like this.
  10. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Getting a bit much now though mate if your kids are in their late thirties :D

11. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Never !

Although youngest daughters boyfriends nearly had a long sleep in Lime quarry last week. I left a lot of my tools in her house, including some new Bosch and Festool only to find he had tried to grout her bathroom and it was everywhere including my tools. He left a brand new paddle mixer in a bucket of grout because he mixed too much and it went off before he could use it :mad::mad:

Doing naughty things with my daughter is bad enough but messing with my tools as well ........

12. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

You obviously have a large amount of restraint, I would have sellotaped sausages to his fingers, shoved a cheap steak down his trousers and let your dog go.

Seriously though, he would be giving up every weekend labouring for me until I was satisfied he'd learned how dull he was. Get him helping on your cottage, he can earn his forgiveness!

13. jimoz

jimoz Screwfix Select

Sorry to revive this old thread just done couple sets of stairs and thought it relevant to OP.

Took a day per set of these on my own and just grabbing a hand/lift when I could. Iv'e got 2 sets like this is before in a day when I've had a labourer with me all day and more clearance. This was tight.

Therefore around one days pay per set if you can get it.

Attached Files:

14. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

So, looking at from a self employed perspective. A set should be between £250 and £300 depending on where you are in the UK ?

15. jimoz

jimoz Screwfix Select

I dunno. Something tells me the prices on site might not be that good! That being said I think they'd be a lot more organised so everything just slots into place. These had an awkward block wall falling below top newel and obviously were flat packed for the kitewinder sections. Had to be built up in situ not enough room to build up them offer in. Newel housed 50mm ish over trimmer and these have 25mm clearance off wall.

On a ready built straight flight with no awkward bits you'd probably take a couple of hours to throw them in. Just highlighting the variables really that come with asking such a general question.

16. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

Been many many a year since i worked on any site jimoz. But one thing i always remember is that NOTHING ever slotted into place. That's the reason as a chippy, everybody else's shoddy work costs you more time and therefore money. Of course they are long gone and have been paid.

17. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

OP only posted in August,,,,,,,,, old thread indeed.