Tiling external corner which is angled

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by C J ord, Aug 19, 2018.

1. C J ord

C J ord Member

Hello

I would be grateful for any one who would share their knowledge.
    I am tiling my bathroom with porcelain 600x300 tiles but the wall corner has been chopped off leaving a shape like a 50p the angles are about 135 degrees making it difficult to go around the wall without leaving an unsightly gap showing the edge of the tiles
    I have thought of mitering the tiles and adding a stainless trim about 2mm thick to protect the corner of the tiles.
    Is there an easier way to do this. I have looked to see if there was a trim I could use but I am unable to find one.

I really would be grateful for any help.

Col

2. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

Post a pic so we can fully understand your problem, because as it sounds you should just be able to use any standard right angle tile trim.

C J ord likes this.
  3. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

Have a look in the metal profiles section at B&Q. They have a variety of thin flat metal bars which might do what you want. It will be in the hardware department I think.

4. C J ord

C J ord Member

Thank you for your help gents I really do appreciate it.

I have tried it with a right angle trim but it leaves a big gap one side of it.

I will get a pic posted tomorrow and also look in B&Q. However I have already bought some stainless right angle trim thinking this was the way to go
    but I am not bothered about using it if there is a better method the stainless will get used for something else.

Thanks again

Col

5. C J ord

C J ord Member

Please see pic. I hope this gives a bit more idea of what I am trying to do.

Thanks

Col Resize.jpg

6. WillyEckerslike

Sorry, should have explained better last night (I wonder how many times I've had to say that in the morning?).

If you stick with your plan to mitre the tiles, that's where I would use a section of strip metal (like your stainless trim with one side removed) to define and protect the edge. Done right, it could look really crisp. But in answer to your direct question - I don't think there's an easier way to do it offhand.

7. C J ord

C J ord Member

Its not the first time I have had to explain myself in the morning either. Ha.

Thanks for the reassurance budd. I note you said to cut the side off the stainless. Is this to make it easier to fit in as I might be able to fit it in square then mitre up to it like Isitrealy said in his earlier post, also if I cut one side off and poke it in (which will probably be the best option), will the tile cement hold it in place adequately.

Forgive me if I am asking the obvious and thanks once again for taking the time to help.

Col

8. C J ord

C J ord Member

Thanks for the advice I have posted a pic.

ATB

Col

9. WillyEckerslike

If you can fit it square and mitre to it that sounds good so long as the skirting can match (if applicable of course). Otherwise I think you'll need to mitre both sides. Tile cement should hold it in but any good adhesive will work so long as there's room to get the grout in.

Would something like this work? It might need trimming down. http://moontiletrim.com/products/double-side-external-corner-profile

10. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

I see now what you mean.

I would mitre the tiles on either side of the 45 and the thin strip tile left square and then just grout as normal.

You are going to need a decent wet cut tile cutter for this, if you don't own one, hire one just for doing this.

11. C J ord

C J ord Member

Thank you for the help. That sounds like a good idea and probably the easiest way of doing it. I have also got some good advice off WillyEckerslike.

I will experiment to see what is the best/easiest method.

ATB

Col

12. C J ord

C J ord Member

Thank you. That link looks good. I will take a copy of the pic to tile shop or B&Q to see if they have got one and give it a try.

I had looked for something like that but its difficult when I did not have a clue what I wanted. Ha.

ATB

Col

13. C J ord

C J ord Member

Hello Lads,

I do appreciate the advice I have had on this forum and to show my appreciation to all who have helped I have made a decent donation to Help For Heroes.

Thank You

ATB

Col

Jord86 and WillyEckerslike like this.
  14. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

Top Man. :)

Any pics of finished work.

15. Magicspark

Magicspark Active Member

Why not over hang the tile and use trim, effectively squaring it off?