Best claw hammer for DIYer

Discussion in 'Tool Talk' started by Alewis, Aug 20, 2018.

1. Alewis

Alewis Member

Afternoon all,

Just looking for some recommendations on a new claw hammer for the garage. I think my current one might have been my wife's out of an ikea toolbox once upon a time, but it could definitely do with replacing.

Are Estwing / Fat Max worth the premium and if so, any preferences? Thinking probably a 20oz

Thanks all

2. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Most chippies use Estwing and then your choice is between a leather or rubber handle, straight claw or curved claw.

3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Perfer 20oz myself, but I just got the Dewalt 22oz,wasn't intending to buy a new hammer, but the balance, a lovely hammer, it's the heavier mate of the Dewalt DWHT51054 below .

You need to try a few hammers & see what suits you.

DEWALT DWHT51054 is hard to beat, nice balance,good nail pulling.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/dewalt-one-piece-rip-claw-hammer-20oz-0-57kg/7142h

https://www.screwfix.com/p/dewalt-one-piece-rip-claw-hammer-22oz-0-63kg/7729h

https://www.dewalt.com/products/han...ry-bars/22-oz-onepiece-steel-hammer/dwht51064

Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
    Pollowick likes this.
  4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

If you want something a bit cheaper, then look at the Estwing Sure Strike Claw Hammer 20oz, stocked by the competitor.

5. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

This one is perfect for diy [​IMG]

teabreak likes this.
  6. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

That's a sparky's hammer. Mind you, a sparky I work with quite a lot uses anything that comes to hand to hammer things with - cordless drills, vacuum cleaners, back boxes - literally anything that is outwardly harder than his hand. He is banned from using my tools - even for their intended purpose!

7. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

So old fashioned mine is cordless!:p:p

CGN, KIAB and WillyEckerslike like this.
  8. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

I bought an Eastwing Force forward hammer 17oz, good for nail pulling but heavy for normal odd jobs and instead of round bruises (on wood and thumbs) you get square ones!:(

9. Beeero

Beeero Active Member

Tried a estwing forward force gave it back in an hour found it put unnecessary stress on my wrist, back to the old faithful short leather handle straight claw estwing 20oz bit pricey and take an age for the handle to ware in but will never brake

10. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I bought one years ago and lent it to someone I didn't like :cool:

CGN likes this.
  11. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Rarely put any nails in with a hammer, mostly use screws or cordless nail gun (1st fix , 2nd & finish) . Pulling nails, I tend to use pry bars or nail pullers.

The only job I had to use a claw hammer for recently was to put staples in for some pig wire.

12. LEH

LEH Active Member

I have to say I try to avoid hammering where possible. Hate banging in ovals.

13. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

Surely for a diyer, any claw hammer would do fine, except the really cheap hammers?

14. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

15. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Did think it was one of those time wasting posts ..................

Heat likes this.
  16. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

Must admit I used for decades an old 16oz Stanley claw hammer which has very strong metal - years of pulling nails has hardly worn the claws. It has been a very decent hammer.
    I bought a 20 oz Estwing (for no good reason other than it has a good reputation) and the balance is superb and blow strength.
    I also have a nice looking cheap fibreglass shaft 20 oz claw hammer that came with a kit of cheap tools and am sure it will do the job, but feels very heavy

17. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

Good point!
    I now have checked the OP and see he has been a member for a few years, so maybe completely genuine post.

18. Peter208

Peter208 Active Member

Back in 1974, that's right, 74, I got a hickory handle claw hammer from Tooting market. It's been the most faithful friend now for some 44yrs. I can still remember the cost, was the best £6 spent on any tool.

Heat likes this.
  19. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

It's only had one new head and two new handles :p

teabreak, Peter208 and Heat like this.
  20. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

£6 would have been a lot of money back in 1974!
    Probably like paying £60 now at least
    Your nickname isn’t Trigger is it?
    Good programme that Only Fools & Horses. :p

Peter208 likes this.