Worktop cut

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by RenoV, Aug 22, 2018.

1. RenoV

RenoV New Member

Hi,

Am currently fitting a kitchen, DIY.

Have cut my worktops using a 40t circular saw blade, but seems the cut was not perfectly horizontal (the plate on the saw may not have been dead straight/flat).

Not a massive difference, likely around 4mm different from the top of the worktop to the bottom.

Any suggestions on how I can fix? Without splitting the laminate of course.

Thanks

2. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Presumably you're using worktop joiners, recut the joint after squaring the saw.

3. RenoV

RenoV New Member

Sorry should have clarified, its the side of the worktop that sits on the last cabinet, ive not yet glued the end strip or screwed the end plate on either

4. furious_customer

furious_customer Screwfix Select

A router with a straight cutter and a guide clamped across the end of the work-piece will square it up.

5. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

As above.

6. RenoV

RenoV New Member

Thank you for the input, unfortunately I dont own a router!

As the difference is relatively small I may just go ahead and put the end strips on and see how it looks.

Thanks again

7. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

It will show I fear. Try it with some small dabs of double sided tape and you will see what I mean. If you cannot remake the cut with the saw set correctly as Chips says, you could always plane the cut straight again. Make sure the plane blade is super sharp and work away from the laminate edge - never towards it.

8. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Why can't you re-cut?

9. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

I would guess because the OP has cut so close that the option to re-cut no longer exists.

10. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Should have paid a pro then.

Dan dan the man likes this.
  11. RenoV

RenoV New Member

Cheers, I was considering this before posting here.

12. RenoV

RenoV New Member

I do have enough space to do a new cut but will likely go for a planer

13. Richard_

Richard_ Screwfix Select

A handheld planer is likely to wander. So you will struggle to get it perfectly square, and it might not be straight along the length of the cut.

IMHO You'd be best spending £60 on a router from our host, or perhaps hire one.

The second best is to use a fresh saw cut. If you are careful with the saw you can shave off a few mm just like you would with a plane, but it'll be much more controlled thanks to the guide and a perpendicular saw.

Get a new blade with lost of teeth and practice on a bit of offcut worktop. Adjust the sole plate to make sure it is square. Also use a bit of ply clamped to the worktop as a guide to get a straight edge for the sole plate to run against. Make sure the ply projects beyond the worktop so you have a guide edge to lead into and out of the cut.

Cut the worktop upside down. Set the blade depth so the teeth only project a couple of mm out of the depth of worktop, this results in the teeth shaving along the finished surface rather than chopping against the laminate. Make sure the saw is up to full speed before starting your cut. Cut into the exposed edge. Move the saw slowly.

14. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Or hire a pro.