Hob hole - changing from electric to gas hob

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by Immy, Aug 13, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Immy

Immy New Member

I currently have a cheap electric hob that I would like to change to gas hob. The gas connection will be done by a suitable gas engineer but currently shopping for gas hob. I think the hole is too big so not sure if I have to buy a large gas hob to cover space. The current electric hob surface dimension is 77 x 51 cm with the hole being 75.6 x 49.5cm. Looking at gas hobs that are 75 x 51 cm the holes required are typically 56cm x 48cm plus or minus a cm ( example http://kenwood-cookers.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/1104965.pdf). Can I install timber supports to reduce the hole size or is this a bad idea? Is there another way around this problem like buying a much bigger unit like https://www.zanussi.co.uk/kitchen/cooking/hobs/gas-hob/zgg96624xs/

2. glob@l

glob@l Active Member

You may not be aware but here are regulations relating to gas hobs, the proximity of wall units, tall housings upstands and splash backs etc.

3. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

OP, you could potentially have a number of issues with what you want to do:

1) The depth of your existing cutout at 49.5cm is simply is too deep for any gas gob i have ever fitted in recent years.
    2) Timber supports are a complete NO NO and would be illegal anyway.
    3) If your existing cooker hood has been fitted to 650mm above your existing hob, it would need to be raised to a minimum height of 800mm above your worktop. The regs state 750mm above the burners, which normally are 50mm above the worktop.
    4) If you have any sort of upstand running behind your existing hob, unless it is Granite or any natural stone, it will have to be removed and cut to finish 150mm either side of a gas hob.
    5) The only way you could fit the Zanussi hob would be if there was either a 900mm/1000mm cooker hood above it. Unless of course there are no wall units anyway.

Not being of much help for a solution i know, but the above tells you what you can't do.

If you really want a gas hob, large or standard, if practical i would look at replacing the worktops at the same time.

4. Immy

Immy New Member

Thanks for the responses. The hood and units around the hob are far away enough for a gas hob maybe they were fitted with a possible future gas conversion. Kitkat your 2nd point why would this be illegal, the main worktop would be the main support of the hob has but to give an extra length to ensure the legs can grip tight.

5. glob@l

glob@l Active Member

There is something about needing a suitable cover for below a gas hob in certain circumstances I believe?

6. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

It's illegal because it just is, i don't write Gas Safe's rules they do :D
    In fact it was just as illegal with a gas hob when Corgi was in charge as well. The reason i suspect is because a large pan can force a flame sideways and downwards, so has the potential to ignite a timber support that might only have a few mm's of cover from the hob itself. With the small amount of hob cover that you would have, there is also no chance that you would have a good seal between the worktop and hob.

And by the way, who is Kitkat ?

Last edited: Aug 16, 2018
  7. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Not considered electric induction hop? We are swapping from gas to electric induction.

8. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

Could it be a euphemism for two fingers to you?

9. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Or a Joan Collins joke, one for the old un's there.

10. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

Mmmmmmmm, there was also a Spammer that used to come on here regularly a few months ago using the same name to address me in threads....................usually late at night and normally seemed to be worse for drink, drugs or both :D

11. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Don't feed the trolls :)

12. The Blind Man

The Blind Man New Member

Hi Guys

Am new here so be gentle.!!
    Chippie have seen a few thoughts from you on what am about to ask so would value your opinion.

So I have only one space where the hob can go and its between 2 windows in the kitchen. The gap between the windows is 1200mm wide it is a solid wall to the outside so no problem venting an extractor. I can find any regulations that it cant be positioned there only recommendations about drafts blowing curtains and catching fire would like a gas hob but would go with induction if there is a legal reason for not having gas but would not apply to induction.
    I look forward to any help with this

Cheers

13. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

As you might have to wait for Chip's reply, i'll give you my thoughts. There's no problem at all in placing the hob between 2 windows that are 1200mm apart. Just try to get it as near to the middle as possible, because it will just look better there. Curtains and blinds blowing in the wind 300mm away are not really an issue.........................unless you intend to throw a frying pan of burning fat at them :D

14. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I can't remember posting anything on this subject but I agree with Kitkat :p:p

kitfit1 likes this.
  15. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

Mmmmmm, have a break.....................have a Kitkat :D

16. The Blind Man

The Blind Man New Member

Well kitfit and chippie i feel safer from both your wisdom o_O and that no curtains will be harmed from the hob in this instance to be fair i have no intention of throwing anything at aforementioned curtains as there will be none, only motorised blinds in the recess. So looks like i am good to go either way.

Cheers guys :)

17. Immy

Immy New Member

Sorry Kitfit, a combination of writing while I'm hungry and a picture of the cat got the name confused. Thanks for the clarification about the seal, makes perfect sense. I think I'll probably wait and get the hob replaced whenever we decide to change the worktops. I'm assuming that when I do this the fitter can cut into the gas line and fit an extension? I'm going to make sure the boiler engineer fits large enough diameter to supply both services, but should I ask them to fit a tee with isolation valve now for this future hob. Am i risking a potential leak point for the gas?

18. WillyEckerslike

My understanding is that the hob has to be connected to the supply and commissioned by a gas safe fitter so unless he/she is going to install the worktop you're still going to need the two trades.
    Your boiler engineer might be willing to install a capped tee but I would be surprised if they would fit an isolation valve. That will come when the hob is installed.

19. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

Are you saying Immy that your boiler shares the same gas feed as your hob ? If it does, is your boiler a combi Condensing boiler and is it's gas feed bigger than 15mm ? And yes, Willy is spot on, any tee will need to be capped. The hob installer will fit a Gas tap.

20. WillyEckerslike

I think that's the first thing I've got right in the last few days.

chippie244 likes this.