Exterior wood coating on window frames and ledges

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Adamfya, Aug 20, 2018.

1. Adamfya

Adamfya Screwfix Select

Hello, I was after some advice please regarding the above. I have wooden window surrounds and sills which are a very dark brown. Walnut colour maybe. The sills are badly cracked and weathered so I rubbed back to bare wood. I applied ronseal 10 year walnut. It's ok, but the original stuff hides the grain of the wood. More of a paint than a stain maybe.... I don't really need to create more work by having to rub down the entire sorround as it's only the sills which are bad. How can I identify what this other stuff is likely to be please???

2. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

You could try posting a picture but it's highly unlikely it's walnut, maybe sapele or oak.

3. Adamfya

Adamfya Screwfix Select

Il try and get a picture tomorrow. Wouldn't know what the wood is as it's been coated with the dark stain/paint stuff before, it's kinda of a smooth finish with no grain marks visible from the wood....if that makes sense....

4. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

Possibly Mahogany.

5. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Are you trying to ID the timber thats been used for the frames and sills or the product that’s been used to paint/stain the timber ?

If your then looking to treat the timber, Sadolin products are good - take a look at their range

6. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

It's almost certainly sapele.

7. Adamfya

Adamfya Screwfix Select

I'm just trying to identify what's been used to colour the wood. The wood is pretty good condition. It's just the coloured coating...stain/paint which has cracked and flaking in places.. I have ronsealed one sill but it looks odd with the rest of the window surrounds

8. Adamfya

Adamfya Screwfix Select

9. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

That's a Mahogany colour, could be a Ronseal product from B&Q. Modern Trend is for an Opaque finish such as Sadolin Super Dec.

10. Adamfya

Adamfya Screwfix Select

Does that super Dec stuff cover the grain??

11. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Due to it's opacity it covers very well it is not a translucent product.

12. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Not much grain on sapele.

13. Adamfya

Adamfya Screwfix Select

What do you mean?

14. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Sapele is very close grained so you don't see much movement like you would in other woods.

15. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Sapele is known also as a bas_tard mahogany and is always finished full grain unlike Oak which is finished open grain.

16. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Well that's a painters view point for you :)

Astramax likes this.
  17. Adamfya

Adamfya Screwfix Select

I just want to freshen up the wood! I'm not worried what it is! As long as I can get it roughly the same finish so that I don't have to create more work for myself! In an ideal world I would rip it all out and replace with plastic!!!!

18. Adamfya

Adamfya Screwfix Select

So.... my saga continues!! I can't seem to find a water based colour to roughly match the existing woodwork. The best match I've found is the dulux ultimate rosewood. It's oil based and covers the sealant well but it's glossy as he'll and stands out like a sore thumb.... any suggestions welcomed!