Aldi Workzone 18v nail gun 23 Aug

Discussion in 'Tool Talk' started by diy_nixy, Aug 23, 2018.

1. diy_nixy

diy_nixy Active Member

2. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

4. diy_nixy

diy_nixy Active Member

I know very little about nailers to be honest. I tried a budget Tacwise nailer many years ago but it was rubbish. Will open up the box later. If its no good Aldi are quite good at returns.

Thanks KIAB for the link to brad nails.

CGN likes this.
  5. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

6. jonathanc

jonathanc Guest

got a load of stud work to do and roof trusses to fix - do you reckon it is up to the job?

7. diy_nixy

diy_nixy Active Member

Its not a 1st fix nailer. Max 50mm nails 2nd fix finishing I reckon.

8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Nope, as above it's a 2nd fix finishing nailer.

Need a 1st nailer,which will take up to a 90mm nail.

9. jonathanc

jonathanc Guest

Many thanks- should have spotted that myself!

10. furious_customer

furious_customer Screwfix Select

Think 1st fix nailers are normally angled to allow skew nailing of joints.

KIAB likes this.
  11. diy_nixy

diy_nixy Active Member

I just tried the nailer for a quick 5 mins in the garage. Really impressed for £80 with a Li-ion battery. Fires brad nails perfectly straight into softwood. Its only 18-gauge which I looked up on the internet is 1.2mm thickness. They are quite thin. Good for picture framing, nailing mouldings into a frame, light pinning of skirting or architrave until the glue sets etc. Also has a little thumb wheel on the front to control the depth of firing.

The construction feels rugged and well built. Nice hard plastic and metal contruction.

I nailed some 30mm thick moulded pine with a ogee profile which I made into a window frame. Made nice quick work of this job. You do have to be mindful of putting any dents into the moulding depending on how heavy you hold the gun onto the moulding due to metal nosing. It does have a soft plastic piece on the nose as well, but not sure these hold forever or whether they break off.

Comes in a blow moulded case with 1 x 1.5 Ah Li-ion battery. So good enough for DIY use. The charger is very small in size so doesn't add bulk. The whole kit also fits into a Dewalt TSTAK II (About the size of most drill cases cases) if you use those for stacking your tools like me.

Overall a great buy in my opinion. I cant compare to other brad nailers as I don't own any other models such as Dewalt or Makita nailers- they are too expensive as cordless tools for diy use.

The only downside maybe more battery's in future as I think Aldi don't standardise this across all their tools, not sure?

I was thinking of ordering their cordless SDS drill which is on sale at the moment for only £28 inc free delivery. Maybe the battery may fit the nailer as well?

https://www.aldi.co.uk/workzone-18v-li-ion-hammer-drill/p/082848200644500

(Sorry for long boring post)

Last edited: Aug 23, 2018
    AlvyChippy likes this.
  12. fillyboy

fillyboy Screwfix Select

Not at all, useful to have some insight. Years ago I had a cheap air powered nailer, similar spec, a useful tool but when it died there was nothing similar on the market and for the amount of time I would use one, it doesn't justify spending £300+ on a pro battery nailer, second fix would be all I require.
    Thanks for the info, at that price I'm tempted, wouldn't get a lot of use, but at £80, that's not a problem.

13. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

have a look in Lidl they were selling separate batteries

14. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Have a look at the reviews on the https://www.edisons.com.au a lot of trades guys posted comments about the tools which seem to be similar

fillyboy likes this.
  15. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I nearly spat my wine out then, be careful. :)

16. diy_nixy

diy_nixy Active Member

17. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

18. diy_nixy

diy_nixy Active Member

KIAB likes this.
  19. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Where's Kenny Everett when you need him?! Oh, here he is!!

WillyEckerslike and KIAB like this.
  20. Peter208

Peter208 Active Member

Part one of;
    How to make friends and influence people.

KIAB and CGN like this.