Silicone Colour - Match grout or top?

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by Iron_Mike, Aug 26, 2018.

1. Iron_Mike

Iron_Mike Active Member

Hi

Interested to get a second opinion on this.

Should I silicone around my kitchen splashback to match the grout colour or should I use a silicone colour that matches the tops.

Not sure if this is purely a personal preference, but was interested to hear what people thought.

I have attached a video.

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers

IM

2. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Usually match grout.

3. fillyboy

fillyboy Screwfix Select

Or worktop.

4. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

Grout.

Most worktops are of colours silicone isn't.

5. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Whatever works, but if you've already bought colour matched silicon to do your internal corners, then no point in buying another colour of silicon to match the worktop.
    Any way, could split hairs for hours over this!

6. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

As worktops are very rarely just one solid block of colour, it's normal to silicone using the same colour as the grout.

7. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Get yourself a set of Fugenboy Silicon Tools, £10 eBay

Best tenner you will spend on 3 bits of plastic

Ditch the masking tape, no need, a little practice and some soapy suds and perfect silicon beads
    :)

8. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

There are good, but i would say forget soapy suds as it gets under the silicone stopping the edge sticking down properly.

Also they are not very good on textured tiles.

9. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Apply sili to dry surfaces

Dip tool ( :confused:) into soapy suds and shake off excess, or use a spray bottle

Haven’t had a problem with adhesion this way but the ‘lube’ really helps when tooling and leaving a smooth surface on the sili, also excess sili just slides off the profile tool

Oh well, we all have different methods :D

10. fillyboy

fillyboy Screwfix Select

I've had a set sitting on the passenger seat of the van for over a year now but haven't been able to bring myself to use them yet. Must give 'em a try.

Iron_Mike likes this.
  11. Iron_Mike

Iron_Mike Active Member

Thanks for the tips lads.

Will go with the grout colour.

12. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Top Tip -
    Take em out of box (and van) before using .....

Work so much better :p

fillyboy likes this.
  13. Muzungu

Muzungu Screwfix Select

Iron_Mike likes this.
  14. Richard_

Richard_ Screwfix Select

Match the grout.

Tiles should be surrounded by grout on all four sides, it looks odd if they aren't. So the seal to the worktop should maintain that visual effect by being the same colour as the grout.

The other thing is that the tiles should look like they come down onto the worktop, but if you have the seal the same colour as the worktop it would look like the worktop is against the tiles. ... IMHO!

Finally, decent grout suppliers sell silicon in a matching colour so it's easy choice with no effort. It will not be so easy to find a match to the worktop, especially as worktops are very rarely a flat single colour.