Selecting a car or car derived van to tow a caravan?

Discussion in 'Car and Van Talk' started by MGW, Aug 6, 2018.

1. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

It seems I made an error, I looked up the towing capacity of my car on internet, there should it seems be a VIN plate, but I couldn't find it, thought it could tow 1400 kg caravan unladen is 1250 kg laden 1450 kg, but looking at registration document seems car is 1250 kg max. (Kia Carens)

So need a new tractor, well not new, second hand is better option, but want at least 1500 kg towing capacity. However listing likely cars, again internet shows tow weights but some models it varies widely Peugeot 3008 for example 500 -1500 kg and mile per gallon even worst, 48.7 - 70.6 mpg depending on exactly which model. As to towing mpg Nissan X-Trail light 48.7mpg and towing 23.4mpg.

So looking to spend around £15k and want second hand, and if I can automatic, I want light mpg over 40, so it would seem needs to be diesel. I have a list of around 60 cars, only van Vauxhall Astra as all other car derived vans don't seem to have towing capacity.

I want to carry push bikes, seems 4 options, on back of car, on top of car, on caravan A frame, or inside car, inside better security but likely to damage car getting in and out, on top OK with low car but high cars can't reach, and back of car and A frame may be damaged on a tight turn.

So any suggestions please.

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

A few of VW Passats can manage 2000kg brake trailer.

3. HappyHacker

HappyHacker Active Member

4. The Teach

The Teach Screwfix Select

Skoda superb :)

5. DIY womble

DIY womble Well-Known Member

6. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

Well ended up with another Kia a Sorrento which will pull 3000 kg and was a lot cheaper than I extended paying.

It will not do the miles per gallon, but one can buy a lot of deisel for the money I have saved buying the older car.

7. jonathanc

jonathanc Guest

Land Rover defender. Tow anything u want

And yes before anyone says, prone to breakdowns. Particularly the 2.2 puma is prone to output shaft failure....

8. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

I was going to suggest a Seat Leon or Vauxhall Insignia but when I looked they had a surprising low towing capability 1450 kg for a braked trailer. Even things like the modern Vitara are quite low.

Some of the Mondeos are quite good tow cars and generally reliable and good to drive - but they are a Mondeo

The other ones are a Merc C class or BMW 3 very good tow capacity up to 1800 kgs

Funnily enough I am in two minds about getting a second vehicle - I quite fancy the new Ssanhyong Muso - which can out perform a Ford Ranger for towing and carrying.

9. glob@l

glob@l Active Member

Have you thought about a pick up?

10. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

Dont they have mercedes engines ? you get a lot of car for decent money

11. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

There was a tie up at one point, I couldn't find when or if it finished. As well as being able to carry 1 ton it can pull another 3.7 at the same time - plus it comes with a 150,000 mile warranty

Sparkielev likes this.
  12. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Monroe's are great cars for the money.

13. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

Monroe make good shock absorbers, as for whole cars, I'm not sure, :D:D:D

14. Sparkielev

Was at a dealership last year looking at cars they had full range of ssanyhong was impressed at what you got for your money

15. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Kin spell check ;)

16. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Dyslexia?

17. Sparkielev

Did i say ssanhyong should read Ford

18. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I couldn't say ssanhyong if you paid me :)

Sparkielev likes this.
  19. Sparkielev

Not a car to buy if you have lisp

20. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I can't even say lisp

Sparkielev likes this.