How can I make this?

Discussion in 'Engineers' Talk' started by dvddvd, Aug 28, 2018.

1. dvddvd

dvddvd Well-Known Member

Hi all

I currently spraying some kitchen cupboards doors.

I have each one hanging from hooks and chains from ceiling in workshop and then I un hook it after ive finished spraying and move to rear to dry and out of way from over spray.

I want to fix a bar/wire/track to ceiling and have it full 3.5 length of workshop. The hooks will hook over, then I spray a door and slide it down the thing fixed to ceiling out of the way. So I don't have to mess about un hooking each door as I do now?

Due to having the hooks sliding down the full length it can only be fixed each end? Or is there something better? Cheaper the better!

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

The pro system used in spray boths is Multi Rail, I found in my last workshop you could achieve similar with a medium duty top track sliding door rail, would support around 300kg maximum.
    Light duty top track will support around 150kg.

You could even use a double track, & a number of door roller carriers.

[​IMG]

This is what I used.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2018
    rogerk101 likes this.
  3. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

I would look for the longest length of curtain rail ... or even butt-joining two lengths of curtain rail. That way you can support the rail at regular intervals along its full length and use the curtain runners with hooks to hold the doors. A good brand of curtain rail like Swish would easily support the weight of a kitchen cupboard door.

4. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

What about a curtain track type of arrangement? Anything that has some sort of surface mounted hooks or a T-slot should do what you want. I'll bet there are lots of old patio door curtain tracks at the local hospice shop.

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Didn't work ordinary track.

6. dvddvd

dvddvd Well-Known Member

KIAB likes this.
  7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Perfect.:)

Great link.:cool:

At that price, you easily have two rails, a lot of dry space.

Can easily attach a piece of flat bar to single trolley with a couple of holes in it, to take hanging wires to suspend doors from.:)

8. dvddvd

dvddvd Well-Known Member

£12 a 3m length, I may buy 3!

KIAB likes this.
  9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

:eek:

:D

Another tip fit a led spot light to trolley, great way to move a light around your works shop, to were your working,mine was a R63 lamp & could be over centre work bench,or slide it over workbench on end wall , but led is a cool light,so better brighter light.

10. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Unistrut

11. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

That had cross my mind, but couldn't find a wheeled trolley for it.

12. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I thought your link was unistut by a different name

13. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

No, has a slightly different edge profile, to use a trolley carrier.

14. dvddvd

dvddvd Well-Known Member

Really good service from FH Brudle, took a couple of days for the 3 X 3000mm lengths and 12 trolley carriers to come.

It's all very substantial, the trolleys have full enclosed bearings on each wheel and cheap at £3.00 each they are M8 threaded bolts so I bought some M8 lifting eye nuts and will hang items from them. Thanks

15. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Why not use electrical cable tray ?

Plenty of sizes and shapes

16. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Hassle of hooking things onto the tray, with the sliding door track you can paint things one end of workshop & slide it down other end to dry.:)
    Had two two sliding door tracks fixed to roof joists running the length of a 16' workshop at previous place.

17. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

The problem I find when sliding things that are set for painting - they fall!

Its the trade off between solidity and not making it difficult to paint. With the cable tray there are plenty of openings for hooks

18. dvddvd

dvddvd Well-Known Member

Im spraying the things, so its a matter of hook up, spray and then a little push and it 3 m away, they really do glide!

KIAB likes this.
  19. Richard_

Richard_ Screwfix Select

Hook something over the bar between each door to act as a spacer between the cariers so they don't bump into each other ruining the paint finish!