What is it with stock levels?

Discussion in 'Screwfix' started by Leyton Rahman, Sep 1, 2018.

1. Leyton Rahman

Leyton Rahman New Member

Heres the thing, Screwfix has a wall mounted hose reel which has just come on offer. Item 78496 £12.99, good deal huh?

Only its not in stock anywhere at all -checked all the North East region and some others regions too. Not for delivery either

Why why why?

Its not great

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Also it's not a rare occurrence as it appears to be a very common practice during clearance time, it's called a Sprat to catch a Mackerel!

3. DIY womble

DIY womble Well-Known Member

Usually true, but I got a down light hole saw set for £3 once , needed a hundred down lights , back to ebay I'm afraid

4. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

You can understand that they don't and can't stock every item in each store but what does rankle is that when you want something specific, there a several alternative products but it is always the dearest one in stock all the rest are available next day.

5. Leyton Rahman

Leyton Rahman New Member

Yeah, no.
    I was checking for this before they came on "special" and then find they're on this offer. They havent had this item in stock for eons and they put it on special!!! Not great business practice in these social media times.

Oh its never been available for delivery or next day collection either

6. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

It is quite simple really, the promotional campaigns are produced well in advance of any stock being shipped to distribution centres let alone the shops. There can be a whole variety of issues that prevents a product being available production and supply issues, the item could be rejected by Screwfix for poor quality / performance or simple human error someone forgot to release the stock.

7. Leyton Rahman

Leyton Rahman New Member

Thanks for that

Its still bad business practice, in these days of instant communication and quick deliveries, surely they can stock up much quicker.

No theyre treating customers quite shoddily

But hey ho! Its on sale at B&Q and they have it in stock in all nearby stores, a few quid dearer, but its there

KIAB likes this.
  8. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Another reason - perhaps the B&Q crew nabbed the Screwfix stock when they weren't looking ;)

Leyton Rahman likes this.
  9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

It's not the first time it has happened...

Leyton Rahman likes this.
  10. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

It just part of the complex supply chain for products we have : manufactured in the far east to some specification on price and quality, packaged put in a container, shipped literally half way round the world, unloaded, shipped to a distribution centre, then lovingly unloaded by another minimum wage worker whom doesn't really care what he is unloading, where it is going or how fragile it is. You'd be amazed at what goes on.

I remember an investigation in a Woolworth Distribution centre after a shipment of Duracell batteries went astray. Tens of thousands of pounds at the time. The management claimed it was an inside job as the container had been emptied and no record of the contents. Three days of interviews, going through employee records, watching CCTV footage, only to find it had been a paper mix up and it was still in a container waiting to be unloaded !

11. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

Stock on offer also can sell out very rapidly.
    I bought a few items on offer and noticed they had sold out in most SF branches in one day

12. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

There was a scam that was going on a few years ago, when employee used to notify their mates when there were going to be good deals posted on line and at what time. They would then buy up the choice items to be resold on eBay / Car boot sales.

13. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

Sales are to get rid of lingering stock or odd items that are in stock at just a few branches or even just one. These tend to be real sales unlike the high street stores who buy in cheap tat and then claim it is being sold cheap in a "sale".

I have seen odd times that are of interest to me, and of the twenty local branches just one has it in stock - for example Boach SDS, 1000mm long, 12 dia, for around £5.

14. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

I suppose that happens with most businesses that the staff have the opportunity for first choice to buy the sales items or tell their family and friends.
    I guess we all would do same.
    But a staff member buying sales items to sell on is underhand.
    I do think Pollowick comment is right about some clearance sales items in SF are very low stock and just for the lucky few who happen to have a store that has one in stock.

15. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Ism't that the idea of clearance stock to get rid ? If someone mentioned Screwfix were selling 1m SDS drill for £5 everybody would want them - unless they were Erbauer :D

16. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

I have to admit to buying an Erbauer tool about 8 years back! A 4.5" angle grinder when my old grinder broke down and I had about £15 available and no cards. It has been well used over that time and is still going strong - used it Friday to cut some 35mm slabs and a few days before through some 75mm thick concrete edging blocks.

17. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

It the usual problem with "own brands" they buy the stuff in and rebrand it as their own but the quality is so variable. I once had some Erbauer impact driver bits, they weren't cheap and it became a challenge to see who put in the most screws before they broke - 9 !

18. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I use the TS basic pz2 bits, 8 quid for a hundred and they last as well as any other I've used.

19. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

A lot of it is poor technique with people - driver at full speed and max torque and not lining up the head and bit properly. However, the erbauer were comical, if the would have been stronger if they were made from plaster of paris

20. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Whilst I agree Erbauer is generally cack of the highest order only bettered by Silverline, I will concede that I bought their tiling hole size jig or whatever you call it about a year ago, a suction cup fused to a metal body with various holes established so you can drill through a tile without the bit wandering. Great little thing.