Pelmet plinth too close to window!

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by stoke, Sep 1, 2018.

1. stoke

stoke New Member

Hi,

I have a tall larder unit that the pelmet plinth overlaps onto the window...if that makes sense. Hit me with some recommendations please. The window edging is shabby so needs trim. The one side by the ladder will have to have a thin trim compared to the other sides of window pane. But that pelmet looks horrendous?

Cheers.

Attached Files:

2. Beeero

Beeero Active Member

Can you scribe a new longer bit and sail it on past so it finishes up against the window frame?

Astramax likes this.
  3. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

You can do as Beeero suggests. The proper way to have dealt with it would have been to return mitre the cornice into the window reveal. It can still be done as long as you have enough cornice left over.

chippie244 likes this.
  4. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

A return mitre wouldn't work as a cornice corner overhangs, so you would have had to stop it short by about 65mm which would have looked worse

5. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

I'm not shure you know what i meant sospan.
    Where the cornice hits the wall, you cut a 45 degree mitre (the same as you would do on the front of the tall housing). You then cut another 45 degree mitre to join the one already cut, measure the tip to wall distance and then cut that off of the return mitre.
    Very simple, very basic and has been done in millions of Georgian, Victorian and Edwardian houses for hundreds of years. It's the logical way to finish that detail and iv'e been doing it since i started fitting kitchens.

6. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

I know what you mean but after the second 90 the cornice would be siting well inside the top of the unit

7. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

No, im not shure you do mate. Wish i had some pics to detail it even more. It wouldn't because the second mitre is cut so as to return inside the window reveal.

8. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

This is what he has now

upload_2018-9-1_22-0-0.png

What you are suggesting is this ?

upload_2018-9-1_22-0-46.png

9. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

What did you use to do that sospan ? No, that's not what i'm sugesting..................i had a feeling you had misunderstood. On the first pic, put a mitre line on the top left blue corner and then simply return the mitre to what would be the window reveal behind the larder unit.

10. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Google return mitre skirting and you should get the idea.

kitfit1 likes this.
  11. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

Yep, exactly the same principal.

12. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

I know what a return mitre is but as I said above on a large projection pelmet like that it will still stick out and look the same the only difference would be that the end will look better from outside. At the moment the window reveal lines up to the edge of the larder unit so it can't realistically reduce its projection

upload_2018-9-1_22-35-21.png

13. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

You still have it wrong sospan. Move the mitre line up to corner of the blue box, then return the yellow cornice to what would be the the window reveal behind the blue box.

14. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

This is what the picture shows - yes ?

upload_2018-9-1_23-14-10.png

15. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

This is what i mean.

[​IMG]

16. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

To me its still going to leave the same problem with the projection and look much the same. The bottom section will need to be cut away to cope with the step into the window reveal

I would have tested how it looked by stopping the cornice earlier and filling in the gap up to the reveal with a painted board. That way you eye won't be drawn to the projection and it won't obstruct things like blinds.

17. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

Cutting a bit of cornice away to get round the small step in the reveal is normal, and takes seconds on a table saw. When fitting a kitchen, as a fitter it's my job to get around problems like this that havn't even entered the designers mind. The method i have described is the most logical and looks the best when finished. Ideally, whoever designed the kitchen should have thought about it beforehand and finished the tall housing 50mm or 100mm short of the window reveal. A blind can still be fitted, the cornice would still stop a few inches short of the window frame.