Plastering around sockets

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by Coldcut, Sep 5, 2018.

1. Coldcut

Coldcut Member

Hi,
    I would just like some advice on plastering around electrical sockets.
    Do i just make a holes big enough for the 2.5mm. Twin&Earth cable to come through, plaster then cut out to fit the boxes?
    And if so, would the plaster crumble around if i cut the sockets out after?
    It would be quite difficult for me to plaster with the dry lining boxes in place as some will be close to one another.

2. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

Fit the boxes first

3. Coldcut

Coldcut Member

Thanks but I will have a right game plastering around the boxes as I wanted pairs and within a few inches of each other.

4. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

You can get blanking covers to go in the boxes during plastering. The plaster then breaks off.

Everyone has their own way of doing it - for example screw up some plastic bubble wrap or similar and stuff in the box then a piece of corrugated card in the front to stop excessive amounts going in and keeping the screw holes clean.

Wait a few hours and there will be more suggestions.

5. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Is this a stud wall ?

If yes,
    Could fit boxes then remove before plastering, coil up cables and poke back through hole, with a draw wire/string attached

Or run cables, poke through PB at socket centre position then plaster

Cut out for sockets with a multi tool if you have, if not, a pad saw

Keep cut outs nice and tight to boxes and use decent dry lining boxes (Appleby)

Sockets overlap boxes by a few mm all round so any slight raggedness is covered

Only diy me but that’s what I would do :)

6. Coldcut

Coldcut Member

Yes I've battened the wall as its going to accommodate pir boards.
    Yes your first idea,
    Could fit boxes then remove before plastering, coil up cables and poke back through hole, with a draw wire/string attached would work.
    If got the Appleby boxes, pad saw and multi tool as well.
    Cheers dave!

7. Coldcut

Coldcut Member

Good idea Pollowick I've got plenty of bubble wrap to stuff up the holes, cheers.

8. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

I've set loads of boxes in with toupret filler. Tape up the front plate fixing holes and set box in place with filler. Wedge with whatever and just get it in correct place perfect. When set 40 mins remove wedges and fill around again. The box should be in the perfect position so then add a screw to box if you like although I don't bother. Toupret drys rapid so with be completely dry the following day no matter how thick the filler is

9. Coldcut

Coldcut Member

I'm getting lost with the wedges and filler?
    If i fit the boxes then remove before plastering, coil up cables and poke back through hole, with a draw wire/string attached, then I've already got my positions perfect?
    And then I can just plaster the whole wall without using wedges and filler?
    Thanks.

10. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

I don’t think wayners has read your post correctly. Sounds like he’s talking about fixing metal back boxes into solid walls

Go with the plan, it’s simple so why complicate ?

Multi tool is perfect for cutting tight, accurate holes for PB boxes

Others will say don’t use ‘fast fit’ boxes as they’re a bodge ..... blah blah blah ...... batten wall...... use metal ...... blah blah blah ...... etc

You’re using quality boxes we’ve established (Appleby), as long as you don’t go mental with faceplate screws and cut accurate holes in PB, all will be fine

Sheeeeeesh ........... :)

11. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

You talking about dry lined plastic boxes or metal plastered in boxes? Plastic dry lined can be cut out before or after the plasterboard has been skimmed. Metal sunk in boxes need to be fitted first with cables coiled inside then plastered around.

12. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

‘Dry lining’ boxes mentioned in the OP mate

13. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

OK.. Cut them out and fit to check they are ok then remove for plastering. 1 in 100 boxes the side clip breaks but easy enough to replace.

14. Coldcut

Coldcut Member

15. Pollowick

Don't know of any.

Why not use the Wago standard 773 type which take 1 to 2.5 mm (not the 773-173 which is for 2.5-6 mm) and a Wago Box?

16. Coldcut

Coldcut Member

They cost £5 more and you only get half the amount.
    I'll buy the ideal insure connectors then I'll ask just to look at the Wago Box to see if they fit it
    Cheers.

17. Pollowick

SF don't, for some reason, stock the standard 3 way 773s.

However, comparing the 2-way versions.

Wago 773 item 77102 are £10.49/100 and ideal 50427 are £9.99/100 not much difference in those prices.

For 4 way, Wago 27374 £17.39/100 and Ideal 71502 £15.99/100 again just a small difference.

18. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

This is just temporary to insulate cables whilst plastering (assuming the circuit is live) ?

And this is a diy job in your own house I take it ?

Just use 30A choc bloc on cables and wrap with insulation tape
    Your not gonna be chucking buckets of water at the walls are you (ok, a brush of pva I guess)

That's what I do if removing sockets to decorate, never killed me so far ;)

19. Coldcut

Coldcut Member

Cheers dave,
    Yes my own home and yes I would prefer to have the circuit kept on after I've isolated all the cables.
    I'll have a look at some choc boxes.
    I'm going to pack the sockets with some bubble wrap also just for some extra protection and to also stop any unwanted plaster entering.

20. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Nothing really to look at, simplicity in itself, wrap well with tape and overlap tape onto cable - job done

[​IMG]