Some people never learn

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by sospan, Sep 5, 2018.

1. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Last night a van was parked in my street which I hadn't seen before. It raised my suspicions and ran it thorough a check, not insured!

It turns out it is my next door neighbours van whom has in the last 5 years had 4 vehicles seized for no insurance, tax, mot etc. He is also been pulled for driving his car with two of its tyres showing the steel braid through the tread and wasn't concerned even though his kids were in the car. Same guy pulled in his firms van with the kids siting on the tools boxes and materials in the back. Several incidents involving alcohol and substance, yet the next morning goes off goes back to work as an domestic and industrial electrician even though he is probably unfit to do anything safely.

So a report has gone in and he will be visited today and hopefully his vehicle removed again.

KIAB likes this.
  2. Allsorts

Allsorts Super Member

Let's hope it's escalated this time, ideally with a driving ban.

3. Muzungu

Muzungu Screwfix Select

Got to be close to a ban. Twice with no insurance will normally take you over.

4. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

I have a doubt he even has a licence or is medically fit to drive.

The only thing that will stop people like him is the threat of a custodial spell.

KIAB, ramseyman and teabreak like this.
  5. b4xtr

b4xtr Active Member

out of interest, what checks can you make Re insurance ??

6. Muzungu

Muzungu Screwfix Select

Last edited: Sep 5, 2018
    KIAB and b4xtr like this.
  7. Lanc

Lanc Active Member

1) Do you do insurance checks on every car/van that you've not seen in your street before? So, does this mean we can all find out if any vehicle we happen to see in a street/road is insured. I thought only a police officer was able to do that (and he needs a justifiable reason to make such a request on the police computer system).
    2) You say, "A report has gone in" - is this by you, or someone else, and is it direct to the police?
    3) You are obviously very knowledgeable about your neighbour's 'indiscretions' of the past - almost sounding a little obsessive if I'm honest.
    4) I presume he will become aware of who is 'shopping' him - hope your evidence is pretty watertight ( and obtained legally).....!!

8. blarblarblarblar

blarblarblarblar Active Member

Touched a nerve have we !

DIY womble and KIAB like this.
  9. DIY womble

DIY womble Well-Known Member

Not an industrial and domestic electrician with 2 kids are you by chance lanc,

just pumps and blarblarblarblar like this.
  10. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

1. Yes. Yes
    2. Yes
    3. Not obsessive, Know all about his history from driving, drug taking to tax avoidance
    4. Yes. Yes

11. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Yes, Lanc is sospans neighbour!:p

Allsorts likes this.
  12. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

For a fee you can check any vehicle is insured, your mate Blair introduced that little nougat.

13. Lanc

Lanc Active Member

Wonder if you like the way his nougat tastes?? Clue: Think of the Klondyke!!
    Never voted Labour in my life, Blair was a disaster

Nerves? Who, me? I would have thought it'd take more nerve to make judgements about others, so randomly.

Nope, but I've had plenty of them following my designs and specs, if that helps!

Thanks for the conciseness of your responses.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2018
  14. Muzungu

Muzungu Screwfix Select

You can check for free online whether any vehicle is insured as long as you ignore data protection law.

15. Allsorts

Allsorts Super Member

I think, to be fair Lancs, Sospan has full justification for checking out his highly dodgy neighbour.

These are not trivial issues, and the guy does seemingly have repeated 'form'.

And, as if it's anybody's business on here, I have since insured my van and put a couple of semi-worns on it.

Lanc and KIAB like this.
  16. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

It also depends on what you did in a previous life ;)

WillyEckerslike likes this.
  17. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

upload_2018-9-6_11-19-15.jpeg

DIY womble likes this.
  18. Lanc

Lanc Active Member

I don't doubt that, but it made me feel a tad discomfited at the 'so-called' detail that sospan seems to put forward - even to the extent of pronouncing on his medical fitness to drive. That's what makes me feel uneasy about all this, and why I used the term 'obsessive'.

sospan has obviously watched events for a five year period, and I find it hard to believe the neighbour is not 'well known' to the local constabulary, already. From the so-called catalogue of his neighbour's misdeeds, I'm amazed he's not already been sorted out. (Unless the neighbour is a policeman, himself, of course!).

The man probably did need reporting, and should be, but not by posting on an open forum before and until he has been convicted, surely?

19. Allsorts

Allsorts Super Member

Fair do's, Lancs, and I hate it when folk resort to actually naming people who have done them wrong, as often happens on Facebook, for example. (Our local 'selling' page on FB has regular pics taken of folk who is claimed have tried a 'fast one'. Always a one-sided story - really unpleasant. Worse still is the readiness of others to jump in all call them allsorts. I mean, all sorts. :( )

In this case, tho', Sos hasn't named or 'exposed' the individual in any way.

20. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

I wondered when that would come out. I suspect that not everyone realised what your day job used to be....

I have little sympathy for those that get caught (or shopped) if they're not following 'the rules'. We might not all agree with 'the rules' but they are what have been democratically determined. There will occasionally be extenuating circumstances and that's why we have an independent judiciary.

We also have a responsibility as members of society to report our suspicions in my opinion. That said, we must use our judgement as to the seriousness of what we believe to be wrong. Putting the incorrect materials in the recycling bin is one thing, driving under the influence however.......

DIY womble likes this.