Tiling!

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by Danielle93, Sep 8, 2018.

1. Danielle93

Danielle93 Active Member

Hello!

Reached my next DIY task, Tiling! Currently tiling around my kitchen above the worktop and so far it's been a breeze. HOWEVER, I haven't installed the wall cabinets yet as I was waiting to see how big my tiles would be to see how high I would put them. My tiles have reached up 41cm but my boiler sits at 43 cm and will be covered with a unit, meaning I have approx 2 cm bare wall. Do I:

A) cover this gap with a strip of pelmet all the way round

B) Tile up to the units once installed (meaning super straight cutting needed)

C) Tile an extra half tile up THEN install units so the bottoms is sitting above the tiles. (Which will make a neat straight line)

My units will be hung, not screwed into the wall.

Thanks!

2. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

Good on ya for having a go Danielle93. I will say this though, the height you tile to can be very variable. But one thing that absolutely can not be variable below 800mm above the worktop is your cooker hood height if you have a gas hob, or 650mm with any electric hob.
    As a rule wall cabs need to be 500mm above the worktop as well.

3. Danielle93

Danielle93 Active Member

Okay, so another run of tiles needed then. I'll be tiling up the middle where my cooker hood is going then putting my cooker hood over the top (it's curved and this seemed easier than cutting curved tiles. ) So can I lay wall units over the top of tiles? Or would it be best to have them flush with the bottom of my units? I've seen varying opinions on how big the gap between counter top and wall wall units should be online, ranging from 400mm to 600mm!!

4. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

Flush with the bottom of your wall cabs is best and the easiest to be honest. Absolutely tile all the way up where your cooker hood will be, again, much easier than trying to tile around curved glass. Plus easier to service the hood if it ever needs to be taken down.

5. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Don’t need to be extra worried about cutting tiles up to wall units with ‘super straight cuts’ !

Surely you’re gonna have cut tiles in other places as well so all cuts need to be pretty good :)

Talking of such things ...... what’s ur weapon of choice for tile cutting ?

Electric wet cutter perhaps ?
    Don’t need to spend a fortune, I’ve got the SF own brand Titan model, £50 I think, although I did fit a better blade than one supplied. It persons very well, recently on very hard porcelain floor tiles

Tiles up to door frames, wall units, etc are better finished with a neat bead of silicon once grouted and dried. A grout line between 2 different materials tends to crack over time, especially when the other material is timber

A neat bead of sili will also cover up any ‘slight’ ragged edge to cut tiles, although with a semi decent cutter and blade you won’t be having any ragged edges ........ just super smooth cuts all the way - enjoy :D

6. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

Are you sure gas is 800mm.??

My cooker recommend 620mm as a minimum but most we looked at said 650mm

7. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

Gas safe, and indeed Corgi regs before, both state 750mm above the burners. As the burners themselves are already 50mm above the worktop, that means the hood has to be a minimum of 800mm above the worktop.
    It really dosn't matter what any manufacturer says is the minimum, the only thing that matters is what Gas safe and the regs state. In fact nearly all the manufactures have get out clauses in installation instructions saying that National or local regulation should always have precedent.

8. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

Ours was fitted by a gassafe fitter who insisted we had a stoves cooker as it was the only manufacturer whos spec fitted within our cookerhood height which was already fitted years before.

9. Danielle93

Danielle93 Active Member

I'm just using a cheap unbranded one from our local hardware shop (I've yet to want something they haven't had!). Borrowed it from a neighbour who did they're whole bathroom with it! It's doing a fine job so far, just a couple of wonky tile cutting while I got the hang of it but nothing major!

10. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

Then you Gas Safe fitter didn't know anything about what the regs are then. As i said, even going back to Corgi days, it was and still is 750mm above the burners.

11. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

Do you what I'm taking about an actual cooker as opposed to a hob. :oops::oops::oops:

With a hob your are quite correct, except my apologises.

12. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

Same regs apply to a cooker, makes no difference. You could have the biggest and most expensive range cooker that ever existed or will ever exist..................................the height of the hood above the burners is still the same :D

13. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Pleased to hear it’s all going well

Yep the Titan tile cutter is a cheap tool really, although I’ve upgraded the supplied blade and cuts really nicely

For occasional diy jobs, don’t always need to pay top dollar for the ‘big boys’ brands

But you’ve gotta to a little research. Some cheap tools are cheap for a reason and should be avoided

14. Danielle93

Danielle93 Active Member

Yeah it was only because my neighbour raved about how good it was! Didn't make things easy for myself buying metro tiles for my first go. The angled edges caused some problems getting a straight cut, it seemed to "tilt" in slightly meaning they don't join together perfectly (like, half a mm gap) nothing either a bead of silicone or grouting won't sort out!

15. Danielle93

Danielle93 Active Member

First two walls done! Pretty chuffed with it to be honest!

Attached Files:

candoabitofmoststuff likes this.
  16. Muzungu

Muzungu Screwfix Select

That's looking good. I used the same cutter and got on fine even though I was using 400*250 tiles. How did you do the single socket cutout, the horizontal cut? I held the tile and lowered it down onto the blade which worked well.

17. Danielle93

Danielle93 Active Member

I used ceramic jigsaw blades for cutting round the sockets (obviously took them off first) only £2.99 and cut through like butter!

18. Danielle93

Danielle93 Active Member

Wrote my previous post as you'd posted that! An example below , good straight cut but obviously not completely smooth so only good for cuts behind sockets etc. I just used a cheap tile scribe for most of my straight cuts which worked fine!

Muzungu likes this.
  19. Danielle93

Danielle93 Active Member

Didn't actually attach the image:

Attached Files:

20. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select