Securing a Pergola.....?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by TimmyT, Sep 9, 2018.

1. TimmyT

TimmyT New Member

Hi, hoping someone will be able to help .
    We’re building a pergola, 7m x 3m. It’ll be attached to the house and the will have 6 cross beams and 4 posts across the front (if that makes sense).
    My question is this, we have a patio that’s already there and when we’ve drilled down to anchor the posts there’s no concrete. My husband read that you can pump resin in to create a foundation to secure the bolts into?
    My concern is that in high winds it may snap the slate patio slab, cause damage to the house as it lifts or move the pergola. Am I right in thinking we actually need to make a proper concrete foundation?

Any help would be appreciated, thank you :)

2. ramseyman

ramseyman Screwfix Select

That’s a bit sad. No way are you going to be able to just drill holes through the slate slabs which appear to only be bedded on sand or other soft material and inject resin. It just wouldn’t hold. Did you just hit s soft spot with the drill I wonder, would be worth trying another hole or two. Think this is s case of lifting the slabs where the posts will go, digging out and pouring in say 450 by 450 by 300 concrete and resetting the slabs onto that.

Squashrobinson and KIAB like this.
  3. TimmyT

TimmyT New Member

Thank you for the reply. That’s what I thought. :)

4. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Do you have a picture of what you want and the rough sizes of the timber. Depending on the design and the weight there are other solutions from just standing the uprights on a slab to fitting metal post legs which are a single rod with a U bracket on the top to hold the post

KIAB likes this.
  5. TimmyT

TimmyT New Member

The posts are, 100x100x2700mm
    The cross beams are, 47x150

I can’t find the original drawing so I’ve drawn what it’ll look.... not the best sketch.

Attached Files:

6. masterdiy

masterdiy Screwfix Select

Tim
    If your attaching it to the house whats the problem.
    Drill slabs & place "Post Feet" onto slab.
    This will stabilize the posts and then fix to wall. It shouldn't go anywhere.
    Dont forget a few bracer bars to posts. Use same size timber.

Attached Files:

7. TimmyT

TimmyT New Member

Ah ok perfect.

Thank you for your help.

8. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Much as above use the post feet. I would give them a coat of paint first, it is much easier now than later. Also shop around as the prices vary a lot especially between the two type - clamp and screw tight.

And as said above plenty of braces to stop it moving.

upload_2018-9-9_18-56-41.png

You may find it easier and better to use joist hangers for the timber where it joins the wall.
    https://www.screwfix.com/p/sabrefix-mini-hanger-50-x-65mm-10-pack/63868

9. TimmyT

TimmyT New Member

Just finished painting the wood and sorting the braces.
    Will fit it all together during the week.

Thank you for all your help it’s appreciated. :)

10. masterdiy

Tim, after all the work we have done here, I would like to think you would post up some pictures for us to see. :)
    If you have any problems fitting up, you know where to come.
    ;)

TimmyT likes this.
  11. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

As your pergola is being fixed to the house, the uprights on the patio just need securing against sideways movement if knocked. What I have done in the past is get a length of 10mm stainless stud bar and hammer it down through a 10mm hole in the slab into the ground below. With a couple of nuts and large washers screwed down onto the slab, you can drill a deep hole in your post and slip it over the stud bar that is sticking up. It will stand a few mm above the slab (thickness of nuts washers), keeping the foot of the post dry, and the stud bar will provide a firm anchorage against sideways movement.

TimmyT likes this.
  12. TimmyT

TimmyT New Member

Pergola finished. Thank you so much for all your help and advice. 1953FF09-FCD3-43F9-8D2C-1EFBDA8C4E24.jpeg 73515057-C6AF-4CFF-AD4B-394418E9C038.jpeg

masterdiy likes this.
  13. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Wow so strong, it pulled the house over :eek: :D

TimmyT likes this.
  14. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

flippin eck they won't shift!

nice job

TimmyT likes this.
  15. TimmyT

TimmyT New Member

:D

16. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Is it in Australia?

17. Lco

Lco New Member

Hi.. little late to this one but hopefully will be adding a pergola to our shed this spring..mounted off the shed in the same way yours is mounted off your house.
    How deep did you need to go inorder to anchor those concealed post into the slab & ground??

18. masterdiy

If its a slab drill through it.

19. Lco

Lco New Member

Do you reckon the slab will be enough to support it? It's on a raised platform.

20. Worcesterman

Worcesterman Member

That looks nice. Can you stand on it to clean the first floor windows. Which direction does your garden face ?