Fitting UPVC Door Hinges

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Turloch, Sep 10, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Turloch

Turloch New Member

Hi guys. My upvc french doors don't close without banging. I have the old fashioned bog standard butt hinges that have no adjustment. Can I replace them with any other hinges, e.g. flag hinges

2. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

I would be surprised if UPVC doors had no adjustment at all, can you post a couple of pics door open and closed, with luck someone may be able to spot an adjustment.:)

3. Turloch

Turloch New Member

4. Turloch

Turloch New Member

Thanks for your reply Tea break. The server won't allow me to upload a pic as too large and I can't make it smaller.
    I've looked up adjustment of the existing hinges and know there's next to no adjustment.
    I simply wish to know if I can use any other hinge type to replace it.

5. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

I suggest you try these people quite helpful in my experience, perhaps you can even spot something that looks like your hinge.
    https://www.handlesandhinges.co.uk/door-hinges/

6. Turloch

Turloch New Member

7. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Great with a bit of luck now we can see it someone will be able to point you in the right direction.:)

8. RolandK

RolandK Screwfix Select

Those hinges have an eccentric pin in them. You put an allen key in the recess on the end of the hinge pin and turn it. First look the see if there are any small grub screws which lock the pin in place and loosen them. Also check the the mounting screws to the door and frame are tight as these can get loose and cause the door to drop.
    Check hinges have the pins adjusted so that the hinges aren't under any strain as the door swings.

9. Turloch

Turloch New Member

Thanks mate. I'll have a go to see if I can get any lateral adjustment next opportunity. I had read that there's no scope with these cheap hinges but, on the inside, there are 2 tiny Philips screws and a grub screw, so maybe :). My problem is the thumb turns bashing their keeps (double doors). I think the jambs have sagged a bit with age.
    Ok let you know how I get on.

In the meantime ... can I use better hinges if thus fails????

10. RolandK

RolandK Screwfix Select

It might be worth checking that the fixings for the frame to the walls are tight too.

11. Turloch

Turloch New Member

The frame is standalone as part of a conservatory. I have tightened up everything I can. I think the uprights may have drawn in over the yesrs

12. RolandK

RolandK Screwfix Select

How old is the installation?
    You might be able to replace with flap hinges but might be worth getting someone round to take a look. One of those firms that does door and window repairs.

13. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Worth getting someone in, even maybe toeing and heeling the door might work if the door is out of true.

14. Turloch

Turloch New Member

Oh it's over 20 years old.
    I hate the idea of paying someone to do this when 1. I can't afford it and 2. I'm a handyman (but never tackled upvc doors before)

15. RolandK

RolandK Screwfix Select

Can relate to that! Have a go at adjusting them and see how it goes. I've got the butt type hinges on my front door and they need tweaking every so often. The flap type on the back haven't needed doing since fitted around 8 yrs ago.