200KG Stove - Berlingo - Tail-lift?

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by CrawfW, Sep 11, 2018.

1. CrawfW

CrawfW Member

Hi,

Not sure which bit of the forum, if any, is the right place to ask - but here goes......

I need to get a 200KG stove from Glasgow to Devon, where i am. The problem is that it isn't on a pallet.

I have found a man/van team that can get it on a pallet for a freight-team to collect, but they aren't very interested in strapping/wrapping/checking all the bits are there.

I am therefore wondering about going up myself in a rented van. Do you think something weighing 200KG 62w x 73d x 136h could be "tilted" from a sack truck into a Berlingo-type van? Or does it need a Luton with a tail-lift?

Any (helpful!) comments massively appreciated!

Crawf

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Tail lift a safer option than using sack trucks,seen someone break a leg, when he let sack truck go too far back & he lost it.:D
    And I cracked two ribs a few years ago with a heavy book case that fell on me, when I tilted sack trucks back too far.:oops:

3. masterdiy

masterdiy Screwfix Select

You will need to know how much the Tail Lift will take. As in safe working load.
    200Kg is appox weight of a motorcycle, but handling the stove will be difficult unless you have a couple of guys to help.
    Most pallet trucks will take that easy, so its getting it on & off the other end.
    You would be wise to take someone with you for that.

Have you also taken into account the costs.
    Hire of truck, Luton with tail lift.
    Fuel costs up & return.
    3 days minimum, if not 4, + Hotel or B&B.

I did North Yorkshire & back (Devon - Yorkshire - Cornwall-Devon) 3 days.
    Was hard as truck limited to 56mph.
    That was a frustrating journey to say the least.

Is the Stove something worthwhile?

Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
  4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Tail lift should manage 500kg.

5. CrawfW

CrawfW Member

The tail-lift i am looking at is rated for 500KG, so no problem there. Plenty of other problems though.....

1. Can i move it on a sack truck, or will it need a pallet truck?

2. Reckon on £150 for the fuel, plus rental cost. Got a sketchy place to hire from for cheap, but all adds up.

3. No go for the Berlingo?

Ideal would be to get it loaded on a pallet without going up, but can't find anyone who can do this. Spent all day on the phone!

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

7. CrawfW

CrawfW Member

The problem isn't moving a pallet, it is finding someone that can load it onto a pallet.

8. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

Have a look on gumtree, search man and van devon, dozens of them, one will surely pallet it up for you

9. masterdiy

masterdiy Screwfix Select

You can Tilt the stove with a couple of men. Then slide Pallet under stove & straighten up.
    Use tie down ratchet straps to keep on the pallet.

Have you costed fuel right?
    If 2 of you go, you can drive in turn.
    Still need B&B + ++
    What is the mileage up & back?

10. CrawfW

CrawfW Member

That's what i thought. But i haven't managed to find any. Only guy i've found needs 4 men to lift, and won't strap - whilst the pallet companies need it strapped!

11. CrawfW

CrawfW Member

What about tilting it to lie down in the back of a Berlingo.

12. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

Although i have never transported a a 200Kg cooker, i have handled 100's in my time. It's not as difficult as you might think, it just takes a bit of planning.
    First off OP, you do absolutely need a truck with a tail lift. You don't need a pallet, but you do need a good sack truck with a long reach and it does take 2 people to move it.

We deal with it in the following way:
    Take anything loose out and off of the cooker (pan stands, burners, racks ect)
    Have plenty of dust sheets or even a few pillows. With the cooker sat on the ground as normal, place the folded dust sheets/pillows so that when you tilt the cooker onto it's side the top edge of the cooker would come to rest in the middle of the dust sheets/pillows.
    The 2 of you then get at each corner of the other end of the cooker, lift it upright until the side of the cooker come to rest. 1 of you then tilts the cooker further until there is enough room to get the sack truck under the side. The cooker is now on the sack truck and you simple move it onto the tail lift. Getting the cooker of the sack truck is the reverse of getting it on and the same again when you get to your destination. It would pay to have a folded dust sheet on the bottom of the sack truck so as not to scratch the side of the cooker.

Heat likes this.
  13. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Genie lift

A GL4 will lift 227kg up to 1.8mtrs,available with forks, easy to lift stove into a van.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
  14. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

Yes it will KIAB. I would lay odds on though the OP has bought a second hand range cooker from a well known auction site with a "buyer collects" notice.
    I would also lay odds on the cooker is still in the kitchen, so enlighten me...................................how will a GL4 get through the front or back door of the house to be able to lift the said cooker ? :)

15. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Dollies what I used to move the last aga.

16. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

I have lifted boilers by myself that are approx 120 kg at least, so should be possible for a couple of strong men if you take all the removable parts of the stove first.
    A good trailer would be easier to use perhaps. Carry a spare wheel for trailer

longboat likes this.
  17. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

We had a 1100 mm delivered before christmas, two lads used the neck / forearm straps to carry it

upload_2018-9-11_19-13-26.png

Think you will find that hiring something like a Luton van with a tail lift will cost around £200 in fuel if you drive it slow and get 30 mpg. Plus around another £200 for hire and any mileage charges. add in another £100 for two of you for food and beverage over 2 days plus any accommodation costs.

bet that cooker isn't looking that cheep

18. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

It's a bloody washing machine........................not a cooker :rolleyes:

19. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

It's a stove!:eek:

20. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

So KIAB, you are having us to believe you moved an entire AGA on a set of dollies ? You do know even AGA themselves don't move or transport there own cookers in that way ? The only way you can move an AGA from one location to another is to dismantle it. Out of interest, how did you get your last AGA on to the set of Dollies in the first place ?