Worktop Upstand

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by glob@l, Sep 11, 2018.

1. glob@l

glob@l Active Member

The corner unit is not level and the worktop is fixed to the unit so the upstand shows a gap below and the is therefore sitting high. The units are secured and plumbing is all fitted.

What would be the easiest way to disguise the gap?

Also how would you invisibly secure the upstand to the plasterboard behind?

IMG_20180911_131740.jpg

2. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

Can you get in there and undo the worktop and pack it up?
    Or try and bend the upstand down?
    Or a lick of similar coloured silicone?
    Or a bread bin

3. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

Op, is the upstand already glued to the wall or is it loose ?

4. glob@l

glob@l Active Member

All the plumbing is in place so I would rather explore alternative solutions. I did wander if silicone would disguise it. I did have a chuckle at the bread bin though.

The upstand is still loose, presumably from your reply you would use glue of some kind?

5. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

If the upstand is still loose then that is good. Are there wall cabs above the upstand in you pic ?

6. glob@l

glob@l Active Member

Yes!
    There is a 3mm gap.

7. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

In that case measure from the wall cab tho upstand, add about 5mm and cut a length of timber. Buy some Mitre bond from "our hosts"....................spray the activator along the gap.................then very carefully run a line of the glue under the upstand. Once done ram the timber stick between the wall cab and upstand until it meets the worktop. Have a cuppa and then remove the stick. If the upstand is still against the worktop.................jobby is jobbed.

8. glob@l

glob@l Active Member

The other end of the upstand will go up, it will rock at the post-form join, so presumably you would suggest doing both ends simultaniously? What glue would you suggest between upstand and plasterboard?
    Incidentally have you successfully done this before?

9. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

Absolutely. The most important thing though.......................is the upstand already glued to the wall ?

10. Dan dan the man

Dan dan the man Active Member

Stick the upstand to the wall with silicone or no more more nails... whatever you’ve got handy..... the upstand has probably been stored wrong hence the bow......I’d use a pair of clamps and 2 pieces of timber to clamp the upstand down while the adhesive sets.... then seal the upstand to the worktop in either clear or colour matched silicone...

11. barbaricduck

barbaricduck Active Member

You might make the gap a smidgeon less noticeable if you can adjust the cabinet legs up on the right hand sided run. Depends on how solid the cabs are fixed to the wall though. I have used the technique myself.
    Are you could even out the gap by having a smaller gap as in the picture and also to the right hand side, the use some simarily coloured mapestick silicone.