LIDL's mega tools, gents ;)

Discussion in 'Tool Talk' started by AlvyChippy, Aug 10, 2018.

1. AlvyChippy

AlvyChippy Active Member

Heads up!

Just back with my bevies and etc and... NOT that I needed any of them:
    (had bit of testing etc)
    £2.99 padded nylon toolbelt~ £8+ worth
    £2.99 set of Drill holster £8 worth + Hammer Holster ~£5 worth
    £15.99 Stud detector (with distance measure and straight little laser) ~£30+ worth
    £6.99 ratchet set ~£15 worth
    £9.99 straight clamp guide 1.2m ~ bit poor compared to my old Trend one, but still £20 worth
    £9.99 4"diamond disc set of 4 ~£20 worth

there a few more tools as cordless multihead tool ("multitool"- BUZZ-saw; Jigsaw, Drill, Impact attachment for £49.99! , when I just had my kit imported etc for near £300...
    Load more at more or less at production + retail cost, not branded, but seem to be decent enough quality, not just for DIY'er ;)
    Cheers!

DIY womble likes this.
  2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Have misplaced my expensive digital caliliper, so had to force myself to buy a cheap one from Lidl yesterday @ £9:99p, surprise it's mostly metal, & it seems accurate,+/- 0.02mm, identical model in Machine Mart is thirty quid.

And if I drop it,then it's only cheap to replace, compared to my Mitutoyo.

https://www.lidl.co.uk/en/Non-Food-Offers.htm?articleId=15156

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
    DIY womble and AlvyChippy like this.
  3. AlvyChippy

AlvyChippy Active Member

Heads up again!
    Needn't none again, got myself LED work-light ( with 12 and 240 chargers)-£10
    4" thin metal disc set x12 of at -£3.99
    Not sure what happened, but 4 more diamond discs (same, but different package) at £3.99????

Seen saw guide £3.99
    Wet and dry vaccum £34.99 (240v), knowing everything to be reasonable quality, beggars believe the pricing of what's already mentioned and few other bits and bobs.

I mean, they are getting on to my nerve a bit, considering how much for almost identical stuff I've paid in the past... If I may.

And yes, got myself variety of bevies, day off tomorrow :D :p

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

5. AlvyChippy

AlvyChippy Active Member

6. AlvyChippy

AlvyChippy Active Member

I would, but weather isn't going to hold up, bevies tonight, good old lay in tomorrow and back to (pricing couple of jobs in the evening) :(

7. AlvyChippy

AlvyChippy Active Member

Gee, didn't even check 4" a grinder £19.99
    Yes 240, but seriously, what TH?

8. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

Lidl tools are so cheap, you will ultimately buy more than you need.
    Some of their clearance bargains were amazing deals.
    I bought a little cordless screwdriver (L-ion battery) which came in a case with lots of screw bits and it cost £5.
    I also got a 240 volt twin blade wall chaser for £30. Still have it unused, but someday it will be handy.

DIY womble and AlvyChippy like this.
  9. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Buy lots if bits and pieces from.both stores. Lidl tools look a bit more pro though :D

KIAB and AlvyChippy like this.
  10. AlvyChippy

AlvyChippy Active Member

I don't believe it!
    25 notes would get you 600w 3" belt sander, with 3 yary w. etc...
    Hate not being able to use 240v tools.

kitfit1 likes this.
  11. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

I actually don't work on "sites" anymore and havn't done for years. But to be honest, even for my own and my fitting partners safety as well as insurance reasons, i would never use 240v tools at work.

wiggy likes this.
  12. AlvyChippy

AlvyChippy Active Member

Fatalities and even injuries are hardly much important these days to be saying 110v is the key to safety.
    Just mumbling, as considering hundreds and thousands wasted on expensive (100v) kit ends up in majority stolen or broken, especially lately, when everything is made in China... Dynamic had changed if it is worth wasting money on the tools, that are simply never anymore represent value for money (performance + longevity).
    Let's say, I'd use - abuse and have belt sander falling apart- might (most likely not) get a refund or replacement in 3 years, it's just not worth hassle.
    Tools, brands etc, we all used to lust for and adore in the past are not worth that (financial) and emotional investment no more- just like white goods or cars. Used to be repairable, "pride and joy", some sort of show off subject or even soul... Just gets replaced with something 1 /10 'th of the cost and that is the end of it.
    Phylosophy of the sort, but I see it that way. ;)

Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
    Heat, kitfit1 and DIY womble like this.
  13. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

I know exactly where you a are coming from AlvyCippy. Thing is though, when you do stuff for a living, you have to have Insurance. You will never be covered if you you use 240v. Iv'e yet to see any company offer me or my fitting partner Public Liability Cover when using any 240v power tools. Maybe you could point us towards any that do ?

AlvyChippy likes this.
  14. AlvyChippy

AlvyChippy Active Member

Nope!
    As ever, sense and rules do split apart- 110v tools is a must, but having insurance is a "must" as well ..

(Whatever hell is happening with my auto-corect on me phone :p)

Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
  15. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

My PLI has no mention of voltage, the only thing it doesn't cover is fixed power tools in your own premises and heat without safety precautions.

16. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

Probably extremely safe to use 240 volt if power source has proper trip gear functioning, but maybe the electricians will disagree.
    Thankfully the cordless tools can do most tasks well.

KIAB likes this.
  17. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I'm either in a house, workshop or tent.

18. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Mate of mine had a 110v transformer box , internally wired so the 240v went straight to the output connectors. His power tools ( all 240v ) had 110v connectors on them . For years he was never questioned on site about his tools. He always made sure he had a rcd plugged into his extension cable feeding his transformer though.

19. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

I have been using 240 volt tools outside for years, until recently often in light rain.
    Mainly drill, breaker or angle grinders.
    Madness I know.
    It never killed me though, even once.
    ;)

DIY womble and WillyEckerslike like this.
  20. AlvyChippy

AlvyChippy Active Member

R u sure? (Is it you or else)
    :p

Heat likes this.