Replacing old for new thermostat

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Lufcdjk, Sep 12, 2018.

1. Lufcdjk

Lufcdjk New Member

Hi all

I have a issue with my thermostat.

I have had the walls plastered and took the old thermostat of the wall .. it was digital with programming on but old and dirty so wanted to just replace it.

The problem is I thought it was easy enough to just get a new one..

I threw the old one away and now I really am confused as to what I can put back on

I have bought just a normal dial thermostat but it's not talking to the boiler..

I have 3 wires and I assumed they were neutral live and earth .. HOWEVER all 3 wires are LIVE ...i have opened the front ofntbe boiler and detached the electric feed and all 3 wires go dead when I do this.

Please can anyone help me.??

2. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

My old one was a mechanical straight through so live in and and live out... It's just a switch. You have a newer one maybe that's live and neutral to power the stat then live out to control the boiler so I wouldn't go messing until you understand what you have. I don't think that's a earth you have to make the 3 wires. Post pic so sparks can help..im not a sparks

3. Lufcdjk

Lufcdjk New Member

It won't let me upload the pic .. keeps saying it's too large

But it is just a 6mm grey cable.. like a light switch cable

4. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

You need to use a hosting service like imgur then paste pic here.. So you upload pic to free service. Tap the pic icon here and paste the url in box..

5. The Teach

The Teach Screwfix Select

hope your not using a neon screwdriver :(

Which boiler do you have ? apart from the wall thermostat,are there any other external electrical controls ?

should be an easy fix,if your looking for a hive/nest or similar product its best to buy the item with fitting the service included.

6. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

Have you not heard of Freecycle or Freegle?
    If, as you say, it was working perfectly and just a bit dirty, surely you should have let someone less fortunate than yourself benefit from it?

7. Lufcdjk

Lufcdjk New Member

I've sorted it now guys

Thanks for all your help