Plastering around sockets

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by Coldcut, Sep 5, 2018.

1. Coldcut

Coldcut Member

2. Richard_

Richard_ Screwfix Select

3. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

If it really is temporary, then whatever you have to hand. Ideal, Wago, ChocBlock,

My earlier answer were in response to your "Which box do these fit?" question.

4. Coldcut

Coldcut Member

So wouldn't you recommend the terminal strip block and tape as long as it was completely covered?
    I've got 7 sockets, so that would mean buying 7 choc boxes or just buying 2 or 3 terminal strip blocks which I think are about £1 at Toolstation.
    If already got some tape.

5. Coldcut

Coldcut Member

Cheers Pollowick!
    yes I was just looking towards more safety than anything.
    If terminal strips and tape do the trick as a temporary measure, just whilst I fit the boards and plaster the next day, then the day after, the sockets will be fitted.

6. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

If you really want belt and braces with ChocBlock then buy some ChocBoxes.

Which ever way, make sure all cables are well back from the front, plasterers trowels are razor sharp and will cut through insulation.

7. Coldcut

Coldcut Member

Cheers Pollowick!
    I'll be packing the sockets with thick bubble wrap, so nothing will be going down the back.
    And it's a stud wall so with the battens and board, it's a 60 mm gap to the original wall where the cables will be.

8. Richard_

Richard_ Screwfix Select

A terminal strip is a choc block, so yes to both.

Having said all that, I put extra sockets in an old stud wall a few weeks ago and all it takes is a sharp stanley knife. You should be able to reach through the hole to grab the cables.