Wire colours with central JB

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by DanielQ, Sep 13, 2018.

1. DanielQ

DanielQ Member

I have wired my house to a large central lighting box with only one cable coming out from each switch and light.

If I wire as the diagram attached, which colours would you use with a 2 way switch for COM, L1, and L2. brown, black, grey?

Thank you

Attached Files:

2. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

Up to you really as long as you brown sleeve grey and black wires, when i do 2way switching i use grey common, brown L1 black L2

3. DanielQ

DanielQ Member

With a central junction box
    With a central junction box would you use this method or this one attached?

Attached Files:

• 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      60.8 KB
      Views:
  4. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

For what it's worth i would run 3core to each switch then 1mm to to central box from switch, then 1mm to light, is there a reason why your'e using central box

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
  5. DanielQ

DanielQ Member

My house was wired with a large JB under the floorboards in the corridor.

I started running new cables for extra switches and i ended replacing the whole thing.I couldn't leave it inaccessible and with old cables.

So, now I have a junction box in the loft, another one in the bathroom ceiling accessible through a downright hole and the main one next to the CU.

I'm not an electrician and for me it is easier just to run singles cables using existing routes. Also if in the future I have any issue it would be much easier to find the problem and fix it.

Sparkielev likes this.